Healthier version Stuffed Red Peppers – made with a combination of lean ground turkey and sausage, onion, cheese, and Italian spices
It all started last weekend when I spied bushels and bushels of beautiful red bell peppers at the farmer’s market in Nashville and learned that they were selling for just 50 cents each! Normally, at the supermarket these babies are more like $2 a piece. Since these were such a bargain and since I really adore red bell peppers…well, let’s just say that I came home with a sackful!
Aren’t they beautiful? Driving back to Knoxville, I started planning what to do with my peppers when I remembered that my sister-in-law had given me a nifty baking ban especially for cooking stuffed peppers, so problem solved! This Stuffed Red Peppers recipe is really easy to put together and can be ready in 35-45 minutes start to finish, plus the non-stick pan made for an easy clean-up as well!
Not only easy and tasty, this dish is healthy. The filling is a combination of lean ground turkey and sausage (or you may leave out the sausage for less calories) with onion, cheese, and Italian spices and was adapted from one that I found on the Dashing Dish blog. Enjoy!
- 1 - 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
- 1/4 pound lean ground sausage, mild or spicy
- 6 medium red bell peppers, or 3 large
- 1 - 1/2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder, or 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded Italian blend cheese
- Pre-heat oven to 450 degrees. Coat stuffed veggie pan with non-stick cooking spray. Wash red peppers, and cut off top 1/4 of pepper. Save or freeze pieces for another use. If you don't have a stuffed veggie pan, line a baking sheet with foil (coat with non-stick cooking spray) and instead remove the stems from the peppers and cut in half length-wise. Either way, remove the seeds and place peppers on the pan.
- Cook ground turkey, sausage, and onion in a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. When the meat is almost cooked through, add the sauce and seasonings to the pan. Stir and continue to cook until the turkey is completely cooked (when it is no longer pink). Add the parmesan cheese.
- Add about 1/2 cup of meat mixture to each pepper. Sprinkle tops evenly with the shredded cheese.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes, or until cheese is melted, and lightly golden brown.
Recipe adapted from Dashing Dish.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 237 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 5g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 61mg Sodium: 441mg Carbohydrates: 13g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 8g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 17g