This BEST Grilled Salmon recipe has a slightly sweet and smoky flavor and is grilled to perfection in just around 15 minutes! During cooking, the marinade creates a nice glaze and the salmon filets end up with a slightly crisp outside and light flakiness inside. This simple grilled salmon is not only delicious, but it is extremely easy to prepare. The marinade is mixed up right in a ziplock bag and the fish is grilled in little aluminum boats placed right on top of the grill grates making clean up easy! My family agrees that this is the salmon recipe ever, and I think yours will, too!
Grilling is practically a year-round thing at our house. Early Spring until late Fall, you’ll find John flipping burgers, chops, steaks—well, just about anything, really—at least two or three times a week. Lately, we’ve been adding this recipe for slightly sweet and smoky Best Grilled Salmon to our regular grilling rotation.
What’s surprising about that is that John believed that he didn’t like salmon until we tried this recipe! That’s a big win for me because I love salmon and now he’s the one who suggests we pick up salmon for the grill…happy wife, happy life! We first made this recipe over two years ago (thanks to Honey Bear Lane for the original post!) and my family whole-heartedly agrees that this truly is the BEST salmon they’ve ever eaten.
That’s quite the compliment, especially coming from my hubby who thought that he didn’t like salmon. Who knew that after 30-plus years of marriage I could finally convince him to grill salmon? And guess what? He loves salmon now! In fact, it’s usually John who suggests grilling salmon for dinner—haha!
How to Grill Salmon
Start by combining the grilled salmon marinade ingredients in a single gallon-size zip lock bag (no need to dirty up a bowl), add the salmon, and refrigerate for at least an hour to allow the flavors to penetrate the fish.
After soaking up all that flavorful marinade, the salmon fillets are grilled in little aluminum foil “boats”. I use heavy duty non-stick aluminum foil and just fold up the sides a couple of times to make a lip. Place the filets on the foil skin side down, then pour some of the marinade over the top. The best part is that after grilling, you just toss the foil!
The salmon is perfectly cooked after just 15-18 minutes on the grill with the lid down. Be careful that you avoid overcooking or the salmon will become too dry. The salmon should lift away from the skin easily with a flat spatula.
This really is the best way to grill salmon!
I seriously can’t even count how many times we’ve used this recipe to grill salmon. The marinade is so flavorful, the salmon is tender and flaky, and clean up is a breeze. This recipe is always a winner with our crowd!
For this grilled salmon recipe you may need:
BEST Grilled Salmon
For a simple yet delicious meal, I like to serve this healthy grilled salmon with a baked sweet potato and 20-minute oven roasted Brussels sprouts or a side of steamed broccoli. This recipe has become one of our go-to options because it is so easy and so tasty!
You may also enjoy these other grilling recipes:
- Easy Grilled Steak Fajitas for Two
- Country-Style Ribs and Grilled Sweet Potatoes & Chow Chow
- Mongolian Glazed Grilled Steak
- Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Blueberry Salsa
- Grilled Steak Salad with French Vinaigrette
- Chili-Orange Glazed Pork Tenderloin
Did you make this Best Grilled Salmon recipe?
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
Best Grilled Salmon
- 2 - 4 salmon fillets
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup lite soy sauce
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1-2 cloves minced garlic
- Place all marinade ingredients into a gallon size zip lock bag and seal. Squeeze gently to combine ingredients, then add salmon fillets. Seal and refrigerate for 1 to 3 hours to allow flavors to penetrate the fish.
- Preheat grill to medium high heat. For each salmon fillet, take a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and fold into a "dish" with sides. Place a salmon fillet into each dish skin side down. Add a little of the marinade on top and place the entire dish on the grill.
- Grill for 15-18 minutes with the lid closed. Flip the salmon onto the grill to sear the top, about 1-2 minutes. Carefully scrape off the skin (it should lift right off) and serve.