Easy Grilled Steak Fajitas for Two. A red curry paste marinade and fresh avocado crema make for tasty and easy grilled steak fajitas at home!
A few years ago, Iron Chef Bobby Flay Steak, faced off against Father Leo of Plating Grace in a steak fajita challenge with his 30-plus ingredient recipe for Red Curry Marinated Skirt Steak Fajitas, which included a BBQ rub for the steak, pickled roasted peppers, barbecued onions, and an avocado crema to top it all off. While this flavor combination sounds utterly fabulous, let’s face the facts, Bobby. Thirty-plus ingredients? Really?
Don’t get me wrong, I love Bobby Flay. In fact, Bobby Flay’s Grill It! cookbook is on my bookshelf and gets used again and again every summer. Recipes like NY Street Dogs and Onion Sauce + Red Pepper Relish will seriously up your hotdog game!
Cinco de Mayo had me researching fajita recipes when I found Bobby’s original recipe. My version of EASY Grilled Steak Fajitas for Two has less than half the number of ingredients without sacrificing flavor. I like to use a flat iron steak marinated for three to four hours in red curry paste, fresh lime juice, and canola oil.
To ensure the steak remains tender and juicy, preheat the grill to a high heat and sear the steak for about four minutes on each side. Allow the meat to rest—this is important—then slice and drizzle with a honey-lime mixture. This meat is so delicious that you could stop right here and skip the toppings, but don’t!
Getting back to making these fajitas, sauté julienned sweet onion and your choice of bell peppers (I think red bell peppers are a must!) with a little canola oil in a preheated cast iron skillet until they are slightly charred and tender. If you like, add a teaspoon of red curry paste at the end of cooking. Toss the ingredients for the avocado crema into a food processor and pulse until smooth and you’re ready to layer it all onto warmed tortillas.
So, watch out, Bobby, I may not be ready for a throw-down, but I am ready to throw another flat iron steak on the grill and chow down on these fajitas! Happy Cinco de Mayo, friends!
- 1 pound skirt steak or flat iron steak
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste
- 4 tablespoons fresh squeezed lime juice, divided
- 1/4 cup canola oil, plus one tablespoon
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 large sweet onion, julienned
- 1/2 large red bell pepper, julienned
- 1/2 large green bell pepper, julienned
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 4-6 flour tortillas, warmed
- 1 avocado
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- Cut steak into two portions and place in a glass dish. Whisk together the red curry paste, 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice and 1/4 cup canola oil and pour over the steak. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours.
- In a small bowl, whisk together honey and 2 tablespoons lime juice. Set aside, reserving half for basting the steak during grilling.
- Heat grill to medium high heat. Heat one tablespoon canola oil in a cast iron skillet, either on the stove or on a side burner of the grill, and add the peppers and onions. Season with salt and pepper and sauté until slightly charred and tender.
- Add steak to the grill, discarding the marinade. Season with salt and pepper and grill approximately 4 minutes on each side, or until the steak reaches the desired temperature, basting with the reserved honey-lime mixture.
- Remove steak from the grill and allow to rest for 5-10 minutes before slicing. Place meat on a platter and drizzle with remaining honey-lime mixture. Serve fajitas on warmed flour tortillas with the sautéed veggies and garnish with avocado crema.
- Just before cooking, place ingredients for the avocado crema into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Set aside.
Recipe adapted from Bobby Flay.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1741 Total Fat: 91g Saturated Fat: 22g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 64g Cholesterol: 170mg Sodium: 1448mg Carbohydrates: 150g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 15g Sugar: 47g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 84g