A lite French Vinaigrette works perfectly with the tender grilled steak, juicy pears, and blue cheese on this entrée salad.
Most marinades are loaded with salt which acts as a tenderizer for the meat, but you can still get a flavorful, tender steak without all that added sodium. Grilled Steak Salad with French Vinaigrette is super simple to prepare and is a delicious Summer entrée that is filling, but not heavy. And, you’ll never miss the salt on this delicious steak!
How do you get a tender steak without loading it down with salt? One secret is to baste the steak with a little olive oil, season the steak with pepper and other spices (see the recipe below for the spice cocktail that I use), and allow it to sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes before grilling. Don’t skip this step!
While your steak is coming to room temperature, whisk together the vinaigrette. A French vinaigrette is typically made with a white wine vinegar and Dijon mustard. There are several different variations, but I like this one with added shallots and fresh basil. Again, I cut out some of the sodium by using Morton’s Lite Salt to season this dressing. I’ve been using Morton’s Lite for a few weeks now and am finding it’s a great compromise when trying to limit sodium intake.
Chop fresh basil leaves for the vinaigrette, but don’t add them until you are ready to toss the salad (so they don’t get all wilted!). To assemble the salad, slice the grilled steak (be sure to let it rest for another five minutes once you take it off the grill) and slice the pears. Toss together—or layer—the romaine, steak, and pears and drizzle with the French vinaigrette. Top it all off with blue cheese crumbles (or you can leave them off if you’d like to save a few calories).
This beautiful salad comes together with just a few ingredients, but in the end I think it’s definitely dinner-party worthy! Enjoy, friends!
- 2 8 oz. New York Strip Steaks
- 1 clove garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon coriander seed
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons chopped shallots
- 6 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon Morton's Lite Salt
- 2 tablespoons fresh basil, (chopped)
- 4 cups romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 medium pear, peeled and sliced
- blue cheese, (optional)
- Preheat grill to medium high heat.
- Trim any fat from steaks. Slice garlic clove and rub over all sides of the steaks. Brush steaks with the olive oil, then sprinkle the spice rub evenly on all sides. Allow to stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Prepare vinaigrette by whisking together all ingredients except for the chopped fresh basil. Vinaigrette may stand at room temperature for an hour (or be refrigerated for up to one week). Add basil just before serving.
- Grill steaks for approximately 8-10 minutes per side for medium. Adjust time for your desired temperature. Remove from grill and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Slice steaks across the grain into 1/4 inch slices.
- Assemble salads by dividing the romaine lettuce among 4 bowls or plates. Top each with the sliced pear and steaks and drizzle with the vinaigrette. Sprinkle with blue cheese crumbles, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 630Total Fat: 51gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 32gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 326mgCarbohydrates: 11gFiber: 3gSugar: 6gProtein: 32g