Sweet potatoes in chili? You betcha! Hearty and healthy, this Black Bean-Sweet Potato Italian Chili is loaded with big chunks of sweet potatoes, black beans, diced tomatoes and onions, and Italian sausage. Adjust the spices to your preferred level of heat and serve with corn muffins or a crusty loaf of bread for a complete meal. With very little prep work required, this meal can easily be prepared after work–no need for hours in the kitchen! Trust me. Try it and I bet you’ll be adding this soup to your repeat recipe list. Enjoy!
Black Bean-Sweet Potato Italian Chili
- 1 lb .ground mild Italian sausage
- 1 large sweet potato peeled and diced
- 1 large sweet onion diced
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 cups water
- 2 15- oz. cans black beans rinsed
- 1 14- oz. can petite diced tomatoes
- 3 teaspoons fresh lime juice
- Crumble Italian sausage into the bottom of a dutch oven and sauté over medium hight heat until no longer pink.
- Add sweet potatoes and onions. Cook about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add garlic and spices, stirring constantly until fragrant, about a minute.
- Pour in water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes, or until potatoes are tender.
- Add beans and tomatoes and simmer another 5 minutes or until heated through.