Saturday morning brunch couldn’t get any easier than this Banana Bread French Toast. Typically, French toast is made from leftover day-old bread, like a French loaf or Brioche, so why not do the same thing with leftover banana bread? In this recipe, banana bread slices are dipped into a cinnamon egg mixture, cooked, and then served topped with fresh banana slices, toasted walnuts, and warm maple syrup. Granted, it’s not that often that we have leftover banana bread, but this recipe is worth hiding a loaf until the weekend to make this brunch-worthy breakfast treat!
For our French toast, I had a few slices of my favorite banana bread leftover. Now that there are only two of us at home, that happens occasionally — we never had leftovers when the kids were home! To make the toast, slice the loaf into one-inch pieces. You’ll want thicker slices so that it won’t crumble so easily in the egg mixture. Some French toast recipes call for soaking the bread in the egg mixture over night. I wouldn’t recommend it with this version, as the bread is not dense enough to handle all that soaking! I dipped each slice on each side just until coated, and then put it on the griddle to cook immediately and it held together quite well.
The cinnamon in the egg mixture is the perfect balance for the banana bread flavor. To serve, I topped each piece with fresh banana slices, a few chopped toasted walnuts, and warm maple syrup. I also garnished it with a dollop of sweetened whipped cream — just to be fancy! If you don’t have leftover banana bread, or you don’t have the time to bake, pick up a loaf at your grocery or bakery. Hide it away until the weekend and then impress your family with a fancy–and EASY–Saturday brunch! Enjoy, friends!
- 8 1-inch slices banana bread
- 4 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Maple syrup,, warmed
- 2 bananas,, sliced
- 1/4 cup walnuts,, chopped
- Sweetened whipped cream,, for garnish
- Preheat griddle to medium high heat.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a shallow dish.
- Dip banana bread slices in the egg mixture, coating both sides. Do not soak in dish.
- Spray griddle with non-stick cooking spray and fry slices until golden brown on both sides.
- Serve with warm maple syrup, banana slices, and chopped walnuts. Garnish with sweetened whipped cream, if desired.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:8 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 352 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 7g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 7g Cholesterol: 146mg Sodium: 276mg Carbohydrates: 50g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 24g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g