Creamy Spinach & Spaghetti Squash Bake with sautéed spinach, red pepper, garlic, and three kinds of cheese.
Confession time. This week I cooked my very first spaghetti squash. Truth! I’m not sure why it’s taken me so long to try this curious vegetable that believes that it is pasta, but let me tell you that this time will not be my last.
Once cooked, the flesh of the spaghetti squash can be separated into spaghetti-like strands by simply scraping it with a fork . One three-pound squash will make enough “squaghetti” to equal around a pound of pasta noodles.
Creamy Spinach & Spaghetti Squash Bake combines fresh “squaghetti” noodles with sautéed spinach, red bell pepper, and garlic plus three kinds of cheese to create a rich, yet delicate dish. Spaghetti squash noodles can be substituted in many other pasta dishes or served topped with regular pasta sauce (saving you loads of carbs!), so what’s not to love?!
Creamy Spinach & Spaghetti Squash Bake
- 1 3-pound spaghetti squash
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 4 cups spinach chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper diced
- 1 clove garlic minced
- dash of nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 8 oz. cream cheese softened
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Slice spaghetti squash in half length-wise. Scoop out seeds and place cut side down in a glass baking dish. Pour 1/2 cup water into dish and bake for about 30-35 minutes. With a fork gently shred the pulp from the inside of the squash and set aside.Reduce oven heat to 375 degrees.
- On top of stove, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add spinach and red bell pepper and sauté just until spinach is wilted. Add garlic and spices and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute.
- Gently stir in cream cheese until melted. Add the spaghetti squash and stir until combined.
- Pour mixture into a casserole dish that is lightly coated with cooking spray. Top with the mozzarella and parmesan cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes, or until bubbly and cheese is lightly browned.