Make this delicious and Crunchy Oven-Fried Okra just one time and you may never go back to cooking fried okra on the stove! Plus, this “fried” okra recipe uses a fraction of the oil that you would need when pan frying which is an added health benefit! The crunchy coating comes from a mix of Panko bread crumbs, corn meal, and parmesan cheese. This has quickly become one of our favorite summer side dishes to make when okra is in season, but this it works equally well with frozen okra. Just thaw before breading and cook as directed in the recipe notes below.
Crunchy Oven Fried Okra
What I think is one of the absolutely best summer foods? FRIED OKRA! Lucky for you, today I’m sharing a recipe I recently discovered at Sing for Your Supper Blog for a healthier, Crunchy Oven-Fried Okra. Thanks to my father-in-law and his garden, we feasted on this “farm-to-table” delicacy at supper the other night.
Just so you understand… this…just this…WAS our entire supper. Yep, just this beautiful bowl of okra. It was delicious!
Tips for making the best oven-fried okra:
- Toss sliced okra with raw eggs to coat all the pieces before breading
- Use a resealable plastic bag to shake the okra with the breading (see the video below for a demo)
- Putting the breaded okra in the refrigerator for a few minutes before adding to the pan will help keep the breading on the okra — more breading, more crunch!
- Always preheat the baking sheet with oil before adding the okra.
You may also enjoy these other vegetable side dishes:
- Crispy Oven-Baked Onion Rings — Healthier onion rings that are tender on the inside and nicely crisp on the outside without frying!
- Browned Butter Roasted Asparagus — Perfectly roasted asparagus drizzled with a nutty browned butter sauce is an elegant side dish for steak or seafood and requires only 12 minutes baking time!
- Asiago Potato Stacks – These fancy little Asiago Potato Stacks, seasoned with fresh rosemary and sea salt, are cheesy, crispy, and perfectly elegant!
- Hattie B’s Black-Eyed Pea Salad — Hattie B’s Black Eyed Pea Salad is dressed with a bright and perfectly balanced vinaigrette.
- Fresh Herb Potato Salad — The flavor of this classic, creamy potato salad is enhanced by using fresh herbs—tarragon and parsley—in the dressing. You’ll make Grandma proud with this recipe!
To make this recipe you may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
What’s new? Check out my Life, Love, and Good Food Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of our community!
My new favorite cookie sheet is the OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Half Sheet (with a bonus cooling rack). One thing I like about this baking sheet is the textured surface that allows the air to flow for more even baking. It also is made with heavy-gauge aluminized steel which promotes even heat distribution. TIP: The cooling rack can be used as an insert in the pan to cook bacon in the oven so that the fat drips into the pan.
Crunchy Oven Fried Okra Recipe
An added benefit to this oven-fried okra recipe is that there’s no greasy mess to clean up. Placing the okra under a broiler at the end of cooking and stirring frequently will result in extra golden brown crispiness!
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 4 cups fresh-cut okra
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons Italian-style panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, panko, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese in a gallon-size ziplock bag.
- In a separate bowl, gently toss the okra with the beaten eggs until evenly coated.
- Pour oil onto a rimmed baking sheet (15x10x1) and place in the preheated oven for just a few minutes to warm up the oil--be careful to not let it start to smoke.
- In the meantime, add the wet okra a little at a time to the bag and shake until coated. If needed, you may add additional cornmeal and panko breadcrumbs -- if the okra isn't coated as much as you like. Carefully add the okra to the hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender, turning the okra halfway through baking. To get a nice golden brown, increase oven heat to broil and watch carefully, stirring as needed.
Recipe adapted from Sing for Your Supper Blog.
OXO Good Grips Mixing Bowls
OXO Good Grips Nylon Flexible Turner
OXO Good Grips Non-Stick Baking Sheet with Cooling Rack
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 266 Total Fat: 18g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 94mg Sodium: 412mg Carbohydrates: 21g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g