Crunchy Oven-Fried Okra. Make healthier crispy, breaded okra in the oven using a mix of Panko bread crumbs, corn meal, and parmesan cheese requiring less oil than frying!
What I think is one of the absolutely best summer foods? FRIED OKRA! Lucky for you, today I’m sharing a recipe I recently discovered at Sing for Your Supper Blog for a healthier, Crunchy Oven-Fried Okra. Thanks to my father-in-law and his garden, we feasted on this “farm-to-table” delicacy at supper the other night.
Just so you understand… this…just this…WAS our entire supper. Yep, just this beautiful bowl of okra. It was delicious!
An added benefit to this oven-fried version, is that there is no greasy mess to clean up. I also found that placing the okra under a broiler at the end of cooking and stirring frequently resulted in extra golden brown crispiness!
If you like this recipe, you may also enjoy these other tasty vegetable side dishes:
- Crispy Oven-Baked Onion Rings — Healthier onion rings that are tender on the inside and nicely crisp on the outside without frying!
- Browned Butter Roasted Asparagus — Perfectly roasted asparagus drizzled with a nutty browned butter sauce is an elegant side dish for steak or seafood and requires only 12 minutes baking time!
- Asiago Potato Stacks – These fancy little Asiago Potato Stacks, seasoned with fresh rosemary and sea salt, are cheesy, crispy, and perfectly elegant!
- Hattie B’s Black-Eyed Pea Salad — Hattie B’s Black Eyed Pea Salad is dressed with a bright and perfectly balanced vinaigrette.
- Fresh Herb Potato Salad — The flavor of this classic, creamy potato salad is enhanced by using fresh herbs—tarragon and parsley—in the dressing. You’ll make Grandma proud with this recipe!
DID YOU MAKE THIS CRUNCHY OVEN-FRIED OKRA RECIPE?
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating! And, if you’re into sharing photos of your cooking adventures, tag @lifeloveandgoodfood on Instagram and hashtag it #lifeloveandgoodfood. Happy cooking, friends!
Crunchy Oven-Fried Okra
- 4 cups fresh-cut okra
- 4 tablespoons cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons Italian-style panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 eggs beaten
- 3-4 tablespoons canola oil
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Combine the cornmeal, panko, salt, pepper, and Parmesan cheese in a gallon-size ziplock bag.
- In a separate bowl, gently toss the okra with the beaten eggs until evenly coated.
- Pour oil onto a rimmed baking sheet (15x10x1) and place in the preheated oven for just a few minutes to warm up the oil--be careful to not let it start to smoke.
- In the meantime, add the wet okra a little at a time to the bag and shake until coated. If needed, you may add additional cornmeal and panko breadcrumbs -- if the okra isn't coated as much as you like. Carefully add the okra to the hot baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, or until tender, turning the okra halfway through baking. To get a nice golden brown, increase oven heat to broil and watch carefully, stirring as needed.