Snowy days call for warm, hearty soup like my Favorite White Chicken Chili seasoned with cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper, and green chilies.
Sometimes I serve this chili with homemade Mexican Cornbread Muffins, but when I’m pressed for time, I serve it with tortilla chips and extra Monterey Jack cheese and sour cream. Don’t feel like you have to add a lot of toppings, though, because this soup is delicious all on its own!
Favorite White Chicken Chili
I’ve been making this delicious soup for many years, and in fact, it was one of the very first recipes that I posted when I started my blog a little over two years ago. At that time, I started out by sharing tried and true recipes (which I still aim to do) that my family had always enjoyed.
This chili has been the star of many football gatherings and winter sleep-overs around our house. The recipe came from one of our favorite local restaurants, Calhoun’s, and is still the most popular soup on their menu.
Ingredients for White Chicken Chili
- Cooked chicken — I often use leftover chicken or pick up a rotisserie chicken for convenience
- White Northern canned beans —are the perfect white bean for chili; white Cannelini beans are too firm are are not a good substitute.
- Fresh garlic — for flavor
- Diced canned green chilies
- Cumin, oregano, cayenne pepper — add heat and spice
- Chicken broth
- Monterey Jack cheese — stirred in at the end of cooking to create a creamy broth
More easy and delicious soup recipes!
During the cooler months I love making a big pot of soup on the weekends and then pack or freeze the leftovers for lunch during the week. To freeze soups, always be sure to let the soup cool completely and then refrigerate it for a few hours until chilled thoroughly before packaging in resealable bags for the freezer.
- Nikki’s Pasta e Fagioli — A delicious white bean soup made with ground beef, tomatoes, and ditalini pasta.
- Easy-Cheesy Chicken Enchilada Soup — Make this soup with a rotisserie chicken or completely from scratch with skinless, boneless chicken breasts in the instant pot.
- Skinny Taco Soup — No guilt here, just a bowl of deliciousness!
- Easy Homemade Red Chili — I like to serve red chili with corn chips, cheese, diced green onions, and sour cream.
- Easy Brunswick Stew — This delicious soup is quick and hearty!
- 30-Minute Beefy Vegetable Soup — This is a good soup to serve with a classic grilled cheese sandwich.
Favorite White Chicken Chili Recipe
One thing I love about this chili is that it is so easy to prepare. Often, I’ll toss the ingredients into the Crock Pot in the morning and let it simmer all day for a quick-fix dinner after work.
I also recently adapted this recipe for the instant pot. The complete instructions are in this post, Instant Pot White Chicken Chili
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 4 oz. can green chilies, diced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 14.5-oz. cans chicken broth
- 3 cups chicken breast, cooked and chopped
- 3 15-oz. cans white Northern beans, drained
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
- Heat oil in large saucepan over medium low heat. Sauté the onion until tender. Add garlic, chilies, and spices. Continue to cook and stir the mixture for 2-3 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, chopped chicken, and beans. Bring to a boil; reduce heat. Simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Slowly stir in the cheese until melted. Serve with your favorite cornbread or tortilla chips.
Original Recipe by Calhoun's
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 363Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 367mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 12gSugar: 2gProtein: 34g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!