This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
It’s my first Blogoversary! Life, Love, and Good Food is officially one-year-old! Thanks so much to my family and friends for all the encouragement during this little adventure — it’s really been a lot of fun and I have learned so, so much! To celebrate, I’m sharing these decadent Mocha Cupcakes with two different frosting options–Peanut Butter Cream Cheese Frosting or Espresso Chocolate Frosting–both are absolutely delicious and worthy of any special celebration! And to thank all of you faithful readers, I’m offering a download of the 2014 Top Ten Recipes (scroll to the end for the link). I really appreciate y’all sticking with me –I have plans for lots more deliciousness in the coming year!
These Mocha Cupcakes. also known as “one bowl” cupcakes by Lindsay Ann Bakes, are ultra-fudgy and delicious. I decided to make a double batch because I wanted to try a couple of different frosting options. Because I had some left-over chocolate covered coffee beans from my Cookie Month project, I decided on an espresso-enhanced chocolate cream cheese frosting with chocolate-covered coffee beans as a garnish. Yep, this cupcake wallops up a little caffeine-punch!
For the other half, I opted for a creamy peanut butter cream cheese frosting by Tutti-Dolci, which ended up being my personal favorite. Top it off with a miniature peanut butter cup and you have yourself a really special little dessert.
P.S. If you’ve enjoyed reading Life, Love and Good Food this year, please share my site with your foodie friends–sharing my posts on your Pinterest boards is welcomed, too! Happy Cooking, y’all!
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder or instant coffee granules
- 1/2 cup boiling water
Peanut Butter Frosting
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter at room temperature
- 2 ounces cream cheese softened
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a cupcake pan with 12 baking cups. In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cocoa, sugar, and espresso powder, mixing until fully combined.
- Whisk together buttermilk, oil, egg, and vanilla. Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients, just until incorporated. Add boiling water and stir gently. Do not over-mix. Batter will be very thin and runny.
- Fill baking cups almost up to the top. Bake for 16-18 minutes or until an inserted toothpick comes out with a few moist crumbs. Cool completely on a wire rack before filling and frosting.
Peanut Butter Frosting
- Beat butter, cream cheese, and salt in a large mixer bowl on medium speed until light and fluffy. Add peanut butter and vanilla.
- Reduce speed to low; add powdered sugar 1/2 cup at a time and beat well, scraping down bowl as needed. Add milk and beat on medium-high speed until light and airy.
- Fit a pastry bag with a large round tip and pipe frosting onto each cupcake; top with a mini peanut butter cup.
Peanut butter frosting by Tutti-Dolci Store leftover cupcakes in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 3 days. Bring to room temperature before serving.