Score big with these Super Coleslaw Reuben Sandwiches with melty Pepper Jack cheese and tangy coleslaw at your Super Bowl Party!
Billions of chicken wings, burgers, meatballs, and bowls of chili will be served this coming Sunday for the Super Bowl, football’s game of the year, and whether you’re a fan or not, you can still enjoy the party, the halftime show, and the food! This year, I’ll be serving these all-American Super Coleslaw Reuben Sandwiches with corned beef, melty Pepper Jack cheese, and tangy coleslaw on sourdough. Served hot off the griddle, these sandwiches are sure to be a big win!
Traditionally, the Reuben sandwich is hot sandwich of corned beef, Swiss cheese, sauerkraut, and Russian dressing, grilled between slices of rye bread. This version takes some liberties from the old deli staple, so if you’re not a fan of sauerkraut or rye bread like me, then I can promise that you really should try my version.
Until last year, I’d never tried a Reuben because I just don’t care for sauerkraut and sometimes rye bread can be a little overbearing for me. John and I stopped by a pub one Friday night and instead of ordering the usual fish and chips, I took a chance and ordered the special of the night—the Reuben. Much to my surprise, I actually liked it and that’s probably because the kitchen substituted sourdough for the rye!
These sandwiches are SUPER easy to prepare (that perfect for SUPER BOWL night, right?!). All you need are a few quick items from the deli—a pound of thinly sliced corned beef, Pepper Jack cheese slices, spicy brown mustard, a loaf of sourdough sandwich bread—and this simple sautéed coleslaw of cabbage, sliced green onions, and bottled Thousand Island dressing. I use my non-stick electric griddle (one of my absolute favorite kitchen appliances) and can flip and serve these sandwiches hot off the pan like a short-order cook boss!
- 1 10-oz. pkg. finely shredded cabbage (coleslaw mix)
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup Thousand Island dressing
- 3 tablespoons spicy brown mustard
- 12 slices sourdough sandwich bread
- 6 1 oz. Pepper Jack cheese slices
- 1 lb. thinly sliced corned beef
- Heat 1 teaspoon olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add cabbage and green onions and sauté for 3-5 minutes until cabbage is wilted. Remove from heat and stir in the salad dressing.
- Assemble sandwiches by spreading mustard on just one side of 6 pieces of the bread. Place on a lightly greased non-stick griddle, mustard side up. Carefully layer the cheese, corned beef, and coleslaw on each and top with the remaining bread slices.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until the cheese is melted and the bread is nicely toasted. (Sandwiches may be assembles first and then placed on the griddle, but transferring to the griddle can be messy.)
Recipe by Southern Living
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 764 Total Fat: 35g Saturated Fat: 12g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 18g Cholesterol: 105mg Sodium: 1998mg Carbohydrates: 77g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 5g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 36g