Sand Tarts, tasty little pecan butter cookies coated with powdered sugar.
It’s time for the big reveal! Food bloggers around the world will be posting their favorite cookie recipes today as a part of the 5th Annual Great Food Blogger Cookie Swap, all in support of Cookies for Kids’ Cancer, a national non-profit organization committed to funding new therapies used in the fight against pediatric cancer. Each blogger made a donation to the charity then baked and shipped a dozen cookies to three assigned food bloggers. In turn, each blogger received three dozen of delicious surprise cookies — so much fun! I chose to share Sand Tarts, tasty little pecan butter cookies coated with powdered sugar, with the bloggers on my list.
These little cookies are very dense in their texture, sort of like shortbread, and get their sweetness from the powdered sugar coating. This recipe is really very simple to make. Combine the ingredients for the dough and roll into walnut-size balls. Place on a parchment paper lined cookie sheet or use one of these nifty silicone baking liners–which I LOVE, by the way! (Each blogger in the project received one of these liners as a “thank you” gift from brand partner Dixie Crystals, who along with Land O Lakes and OXO will each match our donation to Cookies for Kid’s Cancer, dollar for dollar–up to $3000!)
Roll each cookie in a bowl of powdered sugar while they are still warm from the oven. Allow to cool, and then for good measure, roll them all again to guarantee a good coating of sweetness. That’s all there is to it!
Sand Tarts make a good shipping cookie because they are dense and not so delicate. I shipped a dozen each to Heather at Join Us, Pull up a Chair, Allie at Key Ingredients, and Amber at Loves Food, Loves to Eat. (Please give these blogs some Christmas love and go check them out!)
I was the lucky recipient of three delicious cookie gifts — Lemon Coconut Cookies from Alice at Honestly Fitness, Peppermint Chocolate Shortbread from Jessica at A Happy Food Dance, and Cowboy Cookies from Ashton at Something Swanky. You can find the recipes for each on their blogs today, too! Merry Christmas, Friends!
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup finely chopped pecans
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar sifted, for coating cookies
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a stand mixer, cream together butter and 1/4 cup powdered sugar. Add flour and pecans and mix on low until incorporated.
- Shape dough into small balls about the size of a walnut and place on cookie sheets lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat. Bake for 30 minutes.
- While cookies are still hot, roll in a bowl of sifted powdered sugar. Let cookies cool, then roll again in the powdered sugar. Store in airtight container.