One of my Dad’s all-time favorite Christmas candies was Old-Fashioned Peanut Brittle. For several years I would make brittle and wrap up a tin for my Dad and my Father-in-Law as a gift on Christmas Eve. The funny thing is that both of them would open the gift, take a sneak peek inside the tin, and then quietly hide it away so as to keep it all to themselves! The last few Christmases, my nieces have made Papaw Cecil’s brittle. Here’s the Peanut Brittle recipe that they like best. There are options for making the candy the old-fashioned way (cooking on top of the stove) or the quicker microwave method. What are the your family’s favorite Christmas treats?
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dry-roasted or shelled raw peanuts
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
Stove Top Method:
- Cook first 3 ingredients in a medium-size heavy saucepan over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture starts to boil.
- Boil without stirring 5 minutes or until a candy thermometer reaches 310 degrees. Add peanuts and cook 2-3 more minutes or to 280 degrees. Mixture should be golden brown.
- Remove from heat and stir in butter, baking soda, and vanilla.
- Pour into a lightly buttered 15x10 inch jelly-roll pan; and spread thinly. Allow to stand 5 minutes or until hardened. Break into pieces. Store in airtight container.
- Combine first 3 ingredients in a large glass bowl. Microwave on HIGH 5 minutes. Add peanuts and microwave 2 more minutes with 1,000-watt microwave. Microwave 4 more minutes if using a 700-watt microwave.
- Stir in remaining ingredients then pour into a buttered 15x10 jelly roll pan; shake pan to spread thinly. Cool until firm, and break into pieces. Store in airtight container.
Recipe by Taste of the South magazine.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 137Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 2gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 151mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 0gSugar: 28gProtein: 1g