Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, but as always my opinions are 100% my own.
We love making pizza at home and have been experimenting with baking on pizza stones and even on the grill last summer. My challenge has always been making the dough for a homemade crust (with yeast). Frankly, it’s always seemed like a lot of trouble and the results have not always been so great. So, when I came across a free online Craftsy video class recently, I thought, “why not?” Now I’m hooked! I created Pepperoni Pesto Pizza on top of a deliciously crispy homemade crust after watching just one Craftsy video!
I’ve included the basic pizza dough making steps in the recipe below, but for the best results, I suggest signing up for the free online video class. For the Pepperoni Pesto Pizza, I skipped the traditional tomato pizza sauce, and instead opted for a little layer of pesto and olive oil. If you prefer, you could substitute good quality salami or proscuitto for the pepperoni — pepperoni was just what I had on hand. If you try this technique, please come back here later and give me some feedback — I’d love to hear from you! Enjoy!
Pizza Dough (makes four 12-14 inch crusts)
- 5 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 package INSTANT active yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups very warm water
Pizza (amount for topping one pizza)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Classico prepared basil pesto
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz. Hormel pepperoni slices
- 1 cup mushroom slices
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place all dry ingredients into bowl of a stand mixer, including yeast. Mix for a 3-5 seconds to combine. Add olive oil and water. Mix for one minute, then let rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix for just one more minute, then turn dough onto a well oiled surface. Gently stretch and fold in dough on all four sides, then flip over. Place an inverted bowl over dough and let rest for 5 minutes. Repeat this process four times (See Craftsy video for technique.) Dough will continue to become elastic and rise during this process.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheets or pizza stones. Dough balls may be placed in oiled freezer bags and frozen up to 3 months or placed in an oiled glass bowl covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Pat dough into desired size (or stretch using technique found on Craftsy video).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush olive oil over pizza crust, then evenly spread pesto over top and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Add pepperoni and mushrooms, then shave Parmesan all over top.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and just beginning to brown.
Perfect Pizza at Home by Craftsy.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 454Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 11mgSodium: 551mgCarbohydrates: 68gFiber: 3gSugar: 4gProtein: 15g