This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Disclosure: This is a sponsored post, but as always my opinions are 100% my own.
We love making pizza at home and have been experimenting with baking on pizza stones and even on the grill last summer. My challenge has always been making the dough for a homemade crust (with yeast). Frankly, it’s always seemed like a lot of trouble and the results have not always been so great. So, when I came across a free online Craftsy video class recently, I thought, “why not?” Now I’m hooked! I created Pepperoni Pesto Pizza on top of a deliciously crispy homemade crust after watching just one Craftsy video!
I’ve included the basic pizza dough making steps in the recipe below, but for the best results, I suggest signing up for the free online video class. For the Pepperoni Pesto Pizza, I skipped the traditional tomato pizza sauce, and instead opted for a little layer of pesto and olive oil. If you prefer, you could substitute good quality salami or proscuitto for the pepperoni — pepperoni was just what I had on hand. If you try this technique, please come back here later and give me some feedback — I’d love to hear from you! Enjoy!
Pepperoni Pesto Pizza & Homemade Pizza Dough
Pizza Dough (makes four 12-14 inch crusts)
- 5 cups bread flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pkg. INSTANT active yeast
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups very warm water
Pizza (amount for topping one pizza)
- 1-2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Classico prepared basil pesto
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 3 oz. Hormel pepperoni slices
- 1 cup mushroom slices
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Place all dry ingredients into bowl of a stand mixer, including yeast. Mix for a 3-5 seconds to combine. Add olive oil and water. Mix for one minute, then let rest for 5 minutes.
- Mix for just one more minute, then turn dough onto a well oiled surface. Gently stretch and fold in dough on all four sides, then flip over. Place an inverted bowl over dough and let rest for 5 minutes. Repeat this process four times (See Craftsy video for technique.) Dough will continue to become elastic and rise during this process.
- Divide dough into 4 balls and place on a parchment lined baking sheets or pizza stones. Dough balls may be placed in oiled freezer bags and frozen up to 3 months or placed in an oiled glass bowl covered with plastic wrap in the refrigerator for up to 3 days.
- Pat dough into desired size (or stretch using technique found on Craftsy video).
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush olive oil over pizza crust, then evenly spread pesto over top and top with the mozzarella cheese.
- Add pepperoni and mushrooms, then shave Parmesan all over top.
- Bake for about 12 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and just beginning to brown.