Cool Veggie Pizza Appetizer recipe hits it out of the park when it comes to popularity. The crust is conveniently made from a refrigerated crescent dough that is baked and spread with a creamy Ranch cream cheese layer.
Top that with a mix of fresh seasonal vegetables—like broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and tomatoes—plus shredded cheddar cheese and you have yourself a very colorful and flavorful party appetizer!
An oldie, but goody, this finger food can easily be made a day ahead of time and tastes even better after it chills in the fridge.
Cool Veggie Pizza Appetizer
One of my church friends first introduced me to this veggie pizza appetizer, or veggie squares, made with crescent roll dough. She brought it to one of our ladies’ small group meetings and after that it became one of my favorite finger foods to make for bridal or baby showers.
Usually, I make veggie pizza with a mix of chopped broccoli, bell peppers, carrots, green onions, and tomatoes, and I even toss in cauliflower sometimes.
Just think about the types of raw vegetables you like to eat with a Ranch dip and feel free to use those veggies to make this recipe your own.
- refrigerated crescent rolls — for the pizza crust
- cream cheese — the pizza “sauce”
- ranch-style dressing mix — to flavor the cream cheese
- a variety of seasonal vegetables, finely chopped — for example, carrots, bell peppers, broccoli, green onions
- cheddar cheese — pizza’s gotta have cheese!
How to make crescent roll veggie pizza
- Roll out 2 packages of refrigerated crescent rolls on baking sheets, being sure to pinch together all the seams. Bake the crusts until they are golden brown, then let them cool before topping.
- Soften the cream cheese and place in a bowl with the dry Ranch dressing mix. Stir together until well combined, then carefully spread the mixture over the cooled crusts.
- Select a variety of seasonal veggies (in a variety of colors) to finely chop. Make quick work of this task by pulsing in your food processor (be careful not to over do if).
- Gently press the chopped veggies on top of the cream cheese layer.
- Top with shredded cheese and chill throughly before cutting into squares.
- Use a fresh crescent dough. If you’re like me, you don’t always check the code dates when you’re grocery shopping. One thing I’ve learned is that refrigerated crescent dough can get a little gooey if it’s close to the expiration date on the package.
- Leave the dough in the refrigerator until you are ready to roll it out. Don’t set the dough on the counter for too long before using as it will make it harder to handle.
- Always use softened cream cheese in this recipe as it will be much easier to spread on the baked crust.
- Use a food processor to chop the veggies. You don’t want to pulverize the vegetables, but pulsing them a few seconds at a time will result in nicely chopped veggies for this recipe.
- Press the veggies into the cream cheese layer. Lay a piece of plastic wrap on top of the prepared veggie pizza and gently press the toppings into the cream cheese.
- Cut into squares and refrigerate until ready to serve. Honestly, this appetizer is better made a day ahead of time.
More easy party appetizers!
- Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Tortilla Chips
- Hot Pepper Jelly Cheese Dip with Bacon
- Cheesy Greek Swirls
- Blue Cheese Bacon Dip
- Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Spinach Stuffed Tomatoes
- Cheese Straws
- And sweets for your party!
This classic appetizer recipe has been around for years and just continues to gain popularity.
Normally, I make this recipe on a rectangular baking sheet, but you can use a pizza pan and shape the crescent dough in a circle for another fun serving option.
- 2 8-oz. pkg. refrigerated crescent rolls
- 2 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese, softened
- 1 1-oz. pkg. Ranch-style dressing mix
- 2 carrot, finely chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups fresh broccoli florets , chopped
- 1/2 cup green onions, chopped
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, finely shredded
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Roll out crescent rolls onto 2 large non-stick baking sheets. Stretch and flatten to form a single rectangular shape and pinch together seams. Bake 10 minutes, or until golden brown. Allow to cool about 30 minutes.
- Combine cream cheese and Ranch-style dressing mix and spread the mixture over the cooled crusts.
- Chop veggies or pulse in food processor (be careful not to over do if using the food processor). Sprinkle veggies over cream cheese layer and then top with the cheese. Chill in the refrigerator approximately 1 hour. Cut into bite-size squares to serve. Makes 48 squares.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 170Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 36mgSodium: 198mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 3gProtein: 4g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!