This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Sweet and savory Pineapple Cheese Ball is a delicious classic appetizer for the holiday season! Cream together seasoned cream cheese, pineapple, green bell pepper and roll in crunchy pecans, then serve with buttery crackers. This easy appetizer is always a crowd pleaser!
Pineapple Cheese Ball can be made ahead of time and will keep well for two weeks in the refrigerator. You may even want to make an extra and freeze it to enjoy later for your New Year’s celebration.
Seriously, I don’t know why I never make this yummy cheese ball except during the holidays because it would make a great party snack any time of year!
Pineapple Cheese Ball
In our family, there are a certain number of foods we must consume before we feel we have sufficiently celebrated Christmas.
Like the Spinach Dip we make from the recipe on the back of the Knorr Vegetable Soup box and always serve with plenty of Triscuits.
Oh, and we must bake Ginger Cookies and a batch of Nutty Caramel Corn—even if we don’t share with anyone else!
Then, there’s this Pineapple Cheese Ball recipe that my sister-in-law’ always made for the family Christmas Eve gathering. We definitely always look forward to that!
This year, our extended families will be celebrating in smaller groups, so I’ll be making the cheeseball to enjoy at our house on Christmas Eve.
- Cream cheese — softened
- Crushed pineapple — well drained
- Green bell pepper — or red bell pepper, diced
- Scallions — or white onion, minced
- Seasoning salt
- Pecans — or any other type of nuts, chopped
How to make a cheese ball
- Place softened cream cheese in a large bowl. Add the drained pineapple, chopped green bell pepper, minced onion, and seasoning salt. Cream together with an electric mixer.
- Use a spatula to shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball. Cover and refrigerate for two to three hours (or overnight) until the mixture is a little more firm. (This is the recommended way, but if you are in a hurry, you can roll the cheese ball in the chopped nuts before refrigerating.)
- Place the chopped pecans in a single layer on a bowl or a large piece of plastic wrap. Roll the chilled cheese ball in the pecans until coated all over.
- Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
How long can you keep a cheese ball in the refrigerator?
A cheese ball will keep well in the refrigerator for up to two weeks. If you want to make it ahead of time, store the cheese ball wrapped in plastic wrap and wait to roll it in the chopped nuts. That way, the nuts will not get soggy.
Can you freeze a cheese ball?
Absolutely! Again, wait to roll the cheese ball in nuts until you are ready to serve. Pineapple cheese ball may be frozen for up to a month. Let it thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then roll in chopped nuts and serve.
What kind of crackers go best with Pineapple Cheese Ball?
My favorite crackers to serve with Pineapple Cheese Ball are Keebler® Toasteds® Buttercrisp crackers or Ritz Crackers. Both are buttery and salty and complement the sweet pineapple and cream cheese. Other suggestions include Wheat Thins or Townhouse Snack crackers.
What can you roll a cheese ball in besides nuts?
- Crushed pretzels
- Toasted panko crumbs
- Chopped parsley and herbs
- Crisp fried and crumbled bacon
More party appetizers
- Baked Jalapeño Pimento Cheese
- Ham and Cheese Potato Bites
- Cheesy Shrimp Dip
- Baked Brie Cheese and Fig Spread
- Hot Pepper Jelly Cheese Dip with Bacon
- Slow Cooker BBQ Little Smokies
Quick and easy serving suggestion
Use fresh cranberries and sprigs of fresh parsley or rosemary to garnish the Pineapple Cheese Ball for a festive touch. Pace a few cranberries and fresh herbs on top of the cheese ball or around the base to create a lovely appetizer platter.
Pineapple cheese Ball
- 2 8-oz. pkgs. cream cheese, softened
- 1 tablespoon seasoned salt
- 1 8-oz. can crushed pineapple, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons grated onion
- 1 cup chopped pecans
- In a large bowl, cream together the softened cream cheese, pineapple, green bell pepper, onion, and seasoning salt until well combined.
- Use a rubber spatula to shape the cream cheese mixture into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for two to three hours (or overnight) until the mixture is a little more firm.
- Unwrap the cheese ball and roll in chopped pecans until coated all over.
- Serve with crackers.
- Refrigerate leftovers for up to 2 weeks.
- Pineapple cheese ball may be frozen for up to a month before rolling in the nuts. Thaw overnight in the refrigerator, then roll in chopped nuts when ready to serve.