Redneck Tacos sit on top of cornbread hoecakes instead of tortillas and are piled high with pulled pork and tangy coleslaw.
Martin’s BBQ Joint catered our daughter’s rehearsal dinner earlier this year in Nashville and on one of our scouting visits, we were particularly intrigued by one menu item, Redneck Tacos. At Martin’s, Redneck Tacos sit on top of cornbread hoecakes instead of tortillas and are piled high with pulled pork and tangy coleslaw. What a clever idea, right?
I think this dish would be fun menu item at a football party or tailgate. To recreate it at home, I started with a pound of pulled pork (from my local favorite barbecue restaurant), my favorite bottled barbecue sauce (or you may like this EASY homemade BBQ sauce), and homemade cornbread hoecakes and coleslaw. Really easy, really creative, and really good!
A hoecake is basically fried cornbread pancakes. Made with equal amounts of flour and cornmeal, the texture is like cornbread except that it’s not quite as dense and is fluffy like a pancake. I fried these little hoecake on my non-stick griddle (with just a little oil on the surface) and had some trouble keeping from just rolling them up and eating them hot off the grill!
For the coleslaw, I opted for an easy no-mayo, no-fuss version. Starting with a bag of coleslaw mix (pre-shredded cabbage and carrots), this recipe’s dressing starts with vinegar and sugar and is seasoned with salt and pepper. You can’t get any simpler than that! The beauty of it is that this mix works perfectly for Redneck Tacos because it is not as heavy as the traditional mayo-based coleslaws.
Drizzle the whole mess (I mean that literally–you’ll definitely need a fork to eat these tacos!) of hoecake, pulled pork, and coleslaw with your favorite barbecue sauce for some delicious eating! Enjoy, y’all!
- 1 lb. pulled pork or chicken, take-out
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup white distilled vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 head green cabbage, or about 1 pound bag of coleslaw mix, shredded or finely chopped
- 1 cup self-rising flour
- 1 cup self-rising cornmeal
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Place shredded cabbage in a large bowl. Add remaining ingredients to a jar with a tight fitting lid. Seal the jar and shake until the sugar is dissolved. Pour dressing over cabbage and toss to coat.
- Heat non-stick griddle to 350 degrees.
- Add flour, cornmeal, and sugar to a large bowl. In a smaller bowl, combine eggs, buttermilk, water, and oil. Add to dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
- Drop mixture 3 tablespoons at a time onto hot griddle. Cook until bubbly and brown; turn and brown on other side. *May also fry in a skillet with a little oil or butter.
To Assemble Redneck Tacos
- Place a hoecake on plate. Pile high with pulled pork and drizzle with barbecue sauce. Add coleslaw on top and drizzle with more barbecue sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 595 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 104mg Sodium: 1983mg Carbohydrates: 83g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 44g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 22g