Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken is moist, juicy, and the ultimate Sunday supper. This chicken recipe starts with a basil rub that is made with simple blend of spices found in the pantry including basil, of course, along with paprika, onion powder, and garlic powder.
Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken
Here’s one chicken that is worthy of a being the main event at your next Sunday supper without causing too much fuss for the cook. I have to admit I was a little intimidated the first time I roasted a whole chicken.
After trying this recipe several years ago, though, I learned that making roast chicken is actually one of the easiest home cooked meals to prepare. All you need is a little time.
How to Make Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken
Do the prep work, start baking, and then take a Sunday nap until dinner is ready!
- Start with a 6-7 pound roasting hen. Remove all the parts from the cavity, rinse with cool running water, and dry thoroughly with paper towels.
- Coat the hen with a couple tablespoons of olive oil.
- Use your hands and rub the spice blend all over the chicken.
- Place the hen in a dutch oven or roasting pan.
- Bake uncovered for two hours in a 350-degree oven.
How do you know when the chicken is done?
Always test for doneness by checking to make sure the juices run clear or that a thermometer inserted into the inner thigh reads 155 degrees.
How to Make Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken in the Slow Cooker
Although this recipe for Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken is for conventional roasting in the oven, it can easily be adapted for a slow cooker, but to get a crispy golden skin, stick with roasting it in the oven. For the slow cooker, cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours until juices run clear.
You can also roast vegetables with this chicken – toss in potatoes, carrots, and onion – for a complete no-fuss home-cooked meal your family will love. Enjoy!
More Easy Chicken Recipes!
Here are a few of my favorite ways to serve chicken for dinner at our house:
- Slow Cooker Balsamic Chicken — This EASY chicken dinner takes just 10 minutes to prep, requires very few ingredients, and is a healthy no-fuss meal!
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole — Chunks of chicken in a creamy sauce with a crunchy topping of Ritz crackers, poppy seeds, and almonds. Pure comfort food!
- Cheesy Chicken Mac Casserole — A casserole of rotini pasta tossed together with juicy rotisserie chicken in a homemade cheddar cheese sauce with a crunchy topping.
- Chicken Dijon — A fresh twist on the French classic, Chicken Dijon is infused with minced rosemary and simmers to perfection in a creamy white wine Dijon mustard sauce.
- Chicken Fried Rice — Make Chicken Fried Rice at home that’s as good as Chinese take-out! It’s easy and delicious when you know about the “secret” ingredient.
- Even more chicken recipes!
- 6-7 pound roasting chicken
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Remove all parts from the chicken cavity and rinse the chicken under cool water inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels and tie legs together with cooking string/twine. Place chicken in a roasting pan (you may place on a rack in the pan, but not entirely necessary).
- Mix together spices, lemon juice, and olive oil to make the rub and apply liberally all over chicken; bake uncovered for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
- Allow to cool slightly before carving or removing meat from the bone.
This recipe was originally clipped from packaging on a fresh hen. Sorry, no idea what poultry company to give credit!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:6 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1313 Total Fat: 77g Saturated Fat: 21g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 48g Cholesterol: 466mg Sodium: 1492mg Carbohydrates: 2g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 0g Sugar: 1g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 145g