These grilled Greek Turkey Burgers are so flavorful and juicy you’ll forget that they are actually healthy, too!
The first time I suggested that we grill turkey burgers, John was pretty skeptical – I know this because he raised his eyebrows as he headed our to turn on the grill! Even so, after trying GREEK Turkey Burgers, he had to admit that they were actually pretty tasty! One of the secrets to these juicy and flavorful burgers is feta cheese mixed into the turkey meat before grilling, so it’s practically like eating a cheeseburger without all the calories, right?
Besides feta, add fresh lemon zest, dried oregano, and a little salt to the ground turkey meat before forming into patties. Pretty simple, right?
Before we tried turkey burgers, if you asked our girls they would tell you their Dad’s hamburgers were the absolute best. (Shhh…his “family secret” burger recipe is actually our favorite bottled marinade!). I guess there’s just something about a good, fresh burger and eating outdoors that always makes it so good. We still enjoy hamburgers, but I gotta tell you that Grilled Turkey Burgers are run a pretty close race with the old favorite!
Another thing that makes these burgers especially delicious is a simple, fresh cucumber sauce that’s similar to tzatziki. Add fresh mint, grated cucumber, and a pinch of salt to plain Greek yogurt — that’s it! It’s best to seed the cucumber before grating, and also gently squeezing the grated cucumber in a clean paper towel to remove some of the moisture will keep the sauce from getting watery.
Serve the turkey burgers on a whole wheat bun and top them with the cucumber sauce, lettuce, and thin slices of cucumber and red onion. Add a side of baked sweet potato fries for a quick — and healthier — weeknight meal.
Greek Turkey Burgers
- 1 pound ground turkey breast
- 1 (4-oz.) package crumbled feta cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Vegetable cooking spray
- 1/2 cup grated English cucumber
- 1 (6-oz.) container fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 hamburger buns, split and toasted
Toppings: lettuce leaves, tomato slices, thinly sliced cucumber
Garnish: pepperoncini salad peppers
- Stir together first 6 ingredients. Shape mixture into 4 (1/2-inch-thick) patties.
- Heat grill to medium-high heat and cook burgers 5 minutes on each side or until done.
- Stir together cucumber, yogurt, mint, and 1/2 tsp. salt in a small bowl. Serve burgers on buns with cucumber sauce and desired toppings. Garnish, if desired.