Smokey Shrimp & Grits – seasoned with bacon, a little garlic, and fresh lemon juice – served with a loaf of crusty bread makes a delicious one-bowl dinner.
Smokey Shrimp and Grits served up with a crusty, buttery bread makes a delicious and satisfying one-bowl dinner. This shrimp dish is seasoned with bacon, a little garlic, and fresh lemon juice, so you know it’s gotta be good! I used a Paula Deen recipe as inspiration for this dish, but choose to sauté the shrimp in just a little olive oil and forgo the bacon grease for my version. There’s still plenty of flavor, and a lot less guilt!
The creamy stone-ground grits recipe in an original from The Fresh Market & Friends cookbook (2003) and are my all-time favorite grits. Besides serving them with the smokey shrimp, try them as a side for a nice beef filet. Remember, shrimp cook quickly, so prepare the grits first and keep them warm. Cook your shrimp just until they are pink — overdo it and you’ll end up with rubbery shrimp and there’s no need for that! Enjoy, y’all!
- 1 pound shrimp,, peeled and deveined
- 6 slices bacon,, fried crisp and drained
- Juice of one lemon
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 large garlic clove,, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 tablespoons finely diced onion
- 1 2/3 cup chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons half & half
- 1/2 cup stone-ground grits,, not quick cook
- 2 tablespoons low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- fresh ground pepper
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup green onions,, sliced
- Melt butter over medium heat and sauté onion until translucent. Add chicken stock and half & half and bring to a boil. Whisk in grits and reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add cream cheese, salt, and pepper, and stir until cheese melts. Stir in Parmesan Cheese and green onions. Cover and keep warm.
- Cook the bacon until crisp; drain on paper towel.
- Heat 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large skillet; add shrimp and cook just until they turn pink -- do not overcook.
- Stir in the garlic and green onions and cook another 30 seconds to 1 minute. Stir in bacon, parsley and drizzle with lemon juice. Remove from heat.
- To serve, spoon over grits.
Smokey Shrimp recipe adapted from Paula Dean & Friends, Living it Up Southern Style, 2005
Cream Stone-Ground Grits recipe by Fresh Market
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 461Total Fat: 25gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 15gCholesterol: 279mgSodium: 1849mgCarbohydrates: 20gFiber: 2gSugar: 4gProtein: 38g