A creamy homemade Florentine sauce replaces the traditional marinara in this cheesy pizza on a whole wheat crust.
Enjoy gourmet pizza at home with this wholesome and delicious Chicken Florentine Pizza. Start with a whole wheat pizza dough (I found mine at Trader Joe’s) or your favorite refrigerated crust and top it with my homemade Florentine sauce, grilled or leftover chicken, sweet onions, and mushrooms. Fresh spinach and garlic in the sauce make all the difference in this pizza recipe — it’s most definitely on our repeat list!
The sauce starts with making a simple roux of flour and butter, and adding to that minced garlic and milk. I used light butter and low-fat milk and it was still rich and creamy. I tend to go light with garlic, but if you enjoy a stronger garlic flavor, use two minced cloves in the sauce. Once the sauce begins to thicken, toss in three cups of fresh spinach and cook just until the spinach is wilted. This finished sauce will be quite thick and you won’t think there’s enough of it, but no need to worry!
Brush the pizza dough with a little olive oil and then use a spatula to evenly spread the Florentine sauce. You’ll find it’s the perfect amount for a thin layer!
Next, top the pie with sautéed onions, sliced mushrooms, and sliced chicken—grill chicken tenders ahead of time or use leftovers! Layer on mozzarella cheese and a bit of shredded Parmesan, some fresh rosemary and bake until the crust is crispy on the bottom and the cheese is melted and bubbly.
Cut into eight pieces, each slice is around 300 calories so you can feel good about splurging on this delicious pizza!
- 1 whole wheat pizza dough, (Trader Joe's)
- 1/2 pound chicken tenders, cooked and diced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2 medium onion, sliced thin top to bottom
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups part-skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
Florentine White Sauce
- 1 tablespoon light butter
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 cup low-fat milk
- 1/2 teaspoon light salt
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Lightly coat a pizza pan with cooking spray and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon cornmeal.
- Remove pizza dough from refrigerator and allow to rest for 20 minutes before pressing onto the prepared pizza pan. The dough should make a 12-inch to 14-inch pie depending on your desired thickness.
- In a large skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil. Add onions and cook until tender. Remove to a plate.
- Melt butter in the skillet and stir in the flour and minced garlic. Gradually add the milk, stirring constantly to remove lumps. Cook until the mixture begins to slightly thicken, about 5 minutes. Add spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted. The mixture will be thick. Remove from heat.
- Brush one tablespoon olive oil over the prepared pizza crust. Add the spinach mixture and spread to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Top with the cooked onions, chicken, and mushrooms.
- Sprinkle the cheeses and fresh rosemary evenly on top. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the cheese is melted and bubbly.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 298Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 32mgSodium: 589mgCarbohydrates: 29gFiber: 4gSugar: 3gProtein: 17g