This Roasted Red Potato Salad recipe is my favorite go-to recipe for a quick and delicious picnic side dish without sacrificing flavor.
Perfectly roasted red potatoes get tossed with crispy bacon, green onions, and hard-boiled eggs to make a creamy and delicious homemade potato salad in just 30 minutes! This side dish is a perfect potluck dish for picnics and barbecues.
An added bonus is that this recipe requires only a few basic ingredients — red potatoes, crispy fried bacon pieces, chopped eggs, and scallions mixed with light mayo.
Roasted Red Potato Salad
At almost every Southern potluck or picnic during the Summer months, there’s usually a big bowl of someone’s famous potato salad proudly displayed on the table. And rightfully so — do you know how long it takes to prepare traditional homemade potato salad?
To make my Fresh Herb Potato Salad, I can easily plan on a couple of hours to boil, peel, dice and mix those spuds — not to mention the cleanup! It’s delicious, of course, but it does require a lot of time.
I love serving potato salad with burgers and barbecue, but I don’t always have the time to go to all that effort. That’s why I like this quick and easy potato salad recipe so much!
Here are a few tips that make this recipe even easier, so go ahead and let the guests at your next barbecue think you spent hours in the kitchen — your secret is safe with me!
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup when roasting the potatoes.
- If you’re in a real pinch for time, substitute a package (or two if you’re a bacon fanatic!) of Hormel Real Bacon Pieces instead of frying the bacon.
- Drop boiled eggs into ice water for a few minutes for easier peeling.
What’s the secret to the BEST potato salad?
Most importantly, would you like to know the secret to the best homemade potato salad regardless of the recipe?!
Listen closely… always combine the potatoes with the other salad ingredients while the potatoes are still WARM. This creates a creamier dressing and guarantees that the flavors will blend together nicely. Bring on picnic season!
- Oven Roasted Red Potatoes with Balsamic Vinegar — Seasoned with rosemary, thyme, and garlic, these crispy Oven Roasted Red Potatoes are finished with a drizzle of quality aged balsamic vinegar.
- Old-Fashioned Potato Soup — This easy made from scratch recipe is a lightened up version of Old-Fashioned Potato Soup flavored with fresh thyme. Creamy deliciousness in 30 minutes!
- Rainbow Lime Potato Salad — Rainbow Lime Potato Salad—a pretty AND tasty side dish for Spring—gets a little extra zing from fresh lime juice and zest!
- Sweet Potato Salad — SWEET and SPICY! Sweet Potato Salad gets spice from diced fresh jalapeño and sweetness from a simple maple syrup vinaigrette.
If you prefer, try half mayo and half sour cream.
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 3 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite size pieces (do not peel)
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 6-8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled (or may substitute 3 oz. pkg. real bacon pieces)
- 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss diced red potatoes (do not peel) with olive oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 15-18 minutes, turning once or twice, or until fork-tender and lightly browned.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and toss with remaining ingredients while still warm. Adjust the amount of mayo, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or chill and serve cold.
Always combine the potatoes with the other salad ingredients while the potatoes are still WARM. This creates a creamier dressing and guarantees that the flavors will blend together nicely.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302Total Fat: 13gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 84mgSodium: 399mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 3gSugar: 3gProtein: 10g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!