Roasted Red Potato Salad – a favorite go-to recipe for a quick and delicious picnic side dish.
At almost every Southern potluck or picnic during the Summer months, there’s usually a big bowl of somebody’s famous potato salad proudly displayed on the table. And rightfully so — do you know how long it takes to prepare traditional homemade potato salad? When I make my Fresh Herb Potato Salad, I can easily plan on a couple of hours by the time I boil, peel, dice and mix those spuds — not to mention the cleanup! I love serving potato salad with burgers and barbecue, but I don’t always have the time to go to all that effort. This Roasted Red Potato Salad recipe is my favorite go-to recipe for a quick and delicious picnic side dish without sacrificing flavor. An added bonus is that this recipe requires only a few basic ingredients–red potatoes, crispy fried bacon pieces, chopped eggs, and scallions mixed with light mayo (or if you prefer try half mayo and half sour cream).
Here are a few tips that make this recipe even easier, so go ahead and let the guests at your next barbecue think you spent hours in the kitchen–your secret is safe with me!
- Line your baking sheet with aluminum foil for easy cleanup when roasting the potatoes.
- If you’re in a real pinch for time, substitute a package (or two if you’re a bacon fanatic!) of Hormel Real Bacon Pieces instead of frying bacon.
- Drop boiled eggs into ice water for a few minutes for easier peeling.
And most important, would you like to know the secret to the best homemade potato salad regardless of the recipe? Always mix the potatoes with the other salad ingredients while the potatoes are still WARM. This creates a creamier dressing and guarantees that the flavors will blend together nicely. Bring on picnic season!
- 3 pounds red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into bite size pieces (do not peel)
- 3 hard boiled eggs, chopped
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 6-8 slices bacon, fried and crumbled (or may substitute 3 oz. pkg. real bacon pieces)
- 1/2 cup lite mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Toss diced red potatoes (do not peel) with olive oil and spread in a single layer on a baking sheet. Roast for 15-18 minutes, turning once or twice, or until fork-tender and lightly browned.
- Transfer potatoes to a large bowl and toss with remaining ingredients while still warm. Adjust the amount of mayo, if desired. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately or chill and serve cold.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 302 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 84mg Sodium: 399mg Carbohydrates: 36g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 3g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 10g