If you saw my recipe for Mexican Cornbread Muffins earlier this week, you may remember that I mentioned that I like to freeze some of them when I bake up a batch (the recipe makes two dozen). Having them on hand makes putting together a big bowl of Southwest Chicken Cornbread Salad much easier and quicker! Of course, you can substitute any cornbread in this recipe, but I think the muffins work especially well. This salad has it all — spicy cornbread, grilled chicken, fresh veggies, cheddar cheese, and of course, Ranch dressing — making it a delicious one bowl meal!
Make the salad ahead of time and let it chill for a couple of hours. If you like a little more spice, stir in a half cup of salsa with the Ranch Dressing or substitute Southwest Chiptole Ranch Dressing. This salad will keep well refrigerated for several days, so it’s a good “make-ahead” dish. Enjoy!
- 1-2 grilled chicken breasts, cubed into 1-inch pieces
- 1 pkg. Martha White Mexican Style Cornbread, prepared
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 medium green pepper, diced
- 1 15- oz. can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 large tomato, seeded and diced
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 3 green onions, sliced
- 2 cups Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing, or Southwest Chiptole Ranch
- Crumble half the cornbread into a In a large glass bowl or trifle bowl. Layer these ingredients: pinto beans, red onion, green pepper and half the cheese, then evenly pour 1 cup Ranch dressing on top.
- Add cubed chicken then crumble remaining cornbread on top.
- Next, layer these ingredients: corn, tomatoes, and another cup of Ranch dressing. Top with remaining cheese and garnish with diced green onions.
- Cover and refrigerate until ready to serve.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:8 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 559Total Fat: 39gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 27gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 1015mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 8gProtein: 25g