This Southwestern Frittata has a soft tamale-like texture and is loaded with pepper jack cheese and garnished with thinly sliced fresh tomatoes.
Happy 2018, Friends!
Today, we headed back to work after having a wonderful extended holiday break. It was a fabulous Christmas with family and friends with a lot of food, a lot of laughter, and a lot of love. I sincerely hope you enjoyed the same.
During the break, I pulled out this no-fail breakfast casserole recipe which is especially warm and filling on a chilly morning.
Southwestern Frittata has a soft tamale-like texture and is loaded with pepper jack cheese and garnished with thinly-sliced fresh tomatoes.
If you enjoy a little more heat, make this breakfast casserole using spicy sausage and serve with more hot sauce or salsa, or cool it all off with a dollop of sour cream.
A few years ago, our family traveled to Mena, Arkansas, for our niece’s wedding weekend and had the pleasure of staying at Janssen Park Place, a quaint Victorian B&B operated by warm and friendly innkeepers, John and Jolynn, who served up an outstanding breakfast each morning.
John and I enjoy B&B travel, and I must say that the breakfasts we ate there were among the best we’ve experienced anywhere.
Jolynn was gracious enough to share some of her recipes with me before we left, so I am excited to also share them with you. I’ve made this frittata several times already, and my family loves it!
You may also enjoy these other breakfast egg recipes:
- Rustic Sausage and Grits Egg Skillet — Bake and serve in cast iron for a deliciously fun country brunch with layers of cheesy grits, sausage, and eggs.
- Breakfast Enchiladas — This breakfast casserole is filled with savory sausage, eggs, and cheese and smothered with a versatile green chili cheese sauce.
- Classic Quiche Lorraine — Named for the Lorraine region of France, this savory egg custard is baked in a pie crust with crisply fried and crumbled bacon, sliced scallions, and Swiss cheese.
- California Quiche — A veggie lover’s egg dish with fresh zucchini, red bell peppers, onion, and artichoke hearts.
- Blueberry Strata — A sweet overnight breakfast French toast.
Southwestern Frittata Recipe
Southwestern Frittata is a good breakfast main dish to prepare when you are expecting overnight guests. Assemble it the night before and you have more time for coffee and conversation the next morning while it bakes.
Serve with sour cream and salsa or your favorite hot sauce. Use spicy sausage if you like a little more heat!
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 1 lb. sausage
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 8 corn tortillas, sliced into small strips
- 1 1/2 cups pepper jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 5.5 oz. can chopped mild green chilies
- 7 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 large ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Sour cream
- In a large skillet, crumble and cook sausage until no longer pink. Drain off excess grease, then add garlic and cook until fragrant—1 to 2 more minutes.
- Lightly coat a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray. Evenly layer in this order: 1) half the chopped chilies, 2) half the tortilla strips, 3) half of the sausage, and 4) half of the cheese. Repeat the layers with the remaining chilies, tortilla strips, sausage, and cheese.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, cumin, onion powder, salt, and pepper. Pour over layered casserole. Place thin slices of tomato over the top, then sprinkle with chili powder (may use more or less to taste). Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight to "cure".
- The next morning, preheat oven to 375 degrees. Bake casserole for 45-55 minutes, or until the top is golden and the sides are a rich brown color. Allow to set for 5 minutes before cutting into equal pieces. Serve with a dollop of sour cream and salsa, if desired.
Recipe courtesy of the Janssen Park Place Bed & Breakfast.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 421Total Fat: 30gSaturated Fat: 12gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 225mgSodium: 996mgCarbohydrates: 16gFiber: 2gSugar: 3gProtein: 22g