Welcome Spring and dinner salads with this delicious homemade Basil Buttermilk Dressing recipe blended up with fresh herbs, garlic, and tangy buttermilk. Picking up bottled dressing at the grocery store is always convenient, but once you see how easy it is to make homemade salad dressing in your food processor, I think you’ll be hooked!
With just a few staple ingredients and some fresh herbs, you can whip up this gourmet creamy ranch dressing in just two simple steps! This dressing is blended with a mix of mayo, Greek yogurt, and low-fat buttermilk.
Basil Buttermilk Dressing
These past few record-breaking 70-degree days had me craving fresh garden salads, so it seemed like a good time to make this ranch dressing recipe by Ina Garten that I’ve been anxious to try for a while now.
Although basil isn’t in season just yet, I was lucky to find just enough basil leaves to make a batch of this deliciously tangy dressing. You can never go wrong with fresh herbs.
Basil adds fragrance and flavor to this basic ranch recipe. Does anyone have the secret to growing a healthy herb garden? Please share!
You can never go wrong with fresh herbs. Basil adds fragrance and flavor to this basic ranch recipe. That’s why I get really bummed that I have such bad luck growing basil because I love using it in Caprese salads and homemade pizzas!
Make Basil Buttermilk Dressing in a food processor in just two easy steps!
Step 1: Toss green onions, basil, garlic, fresh lemon juice, and Dijon mustard into a food processor and blend until smooth. It will look like you’re making pesto. Before moving to the next step of the recipe, take a minute and inhale that wonderful basil aroma!
Step 2: Finish the dressing by adding mayonnaise, Greek yogurt, and buttermilk to the basil mixture and pulsing to the desired consistency. This dressing may be thick, so if you prefer it thinner add a bit more buttermilk. You can use the dressing immediately or for the best flavor, chill for about an hour.
Buttermilk is a very versatile ingredient! Check out these other recipes using buttermilk:
- Insalata Della Casa — Bravo’s signature copycat recipe with a creamy homemade Parmesan Ranch dressing with tangy buttermilk.
- Blueberry Coffee Cake — Bursting with fresh blueberries and a dash of lemon flavoring, this lightened-up coffee cake with buttermilk in the batter makes a beautiful and delicious brunch dessert.
- Cherry Cake with Buttermilk Powdered Sugar Glaze ‑— Fresh cherries and a sweet glaze make this cake suitable to serve either as a dessert or as a brunch coffee cake.
- Buttery Sweet Potato Biscuits — Make the ultimate Southern biscuit sandwich with sweet potato buttermilk biscuits, sliced ham, and a smear of homemade honey Dijon vinaigrette.
- Hushpuppies — Little buttermilk cornbread bites with sweet Vidalia onion, fresh summer corn, and diced jalapeño for extra flavor.
How to serve Basil Buttermilk Dressing
Of course, the obvious use for this dressing recipe is serving on a simple salad of mixed greens with your favorite toppers, perhaps fresh tomatoes, cucumbers, and bacon! But don’t miss out trying this dressing as a substitute for sour cream on a hot baked potato. It’s phenomenal!
BASIL BUTTERMILK DRESSING RECIPE
Adding fresh lemon juice gives this dressing its brightness and a handful of basil leaves gives the dressing its intense flavor.
- 3 green onions
- 1/2 cup basil leaves
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons lite salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup low-fat or olive oil mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup low-fat buttermilk
- Wash and trim green onions, then cut into 3 inch pieces. Add the onions along with the remaining ingredients listed for step 1 to a food processor. Process until the mixture is smooth.
- Add the mayo, Greek yogurt, and buttermilk to the mixture in food processor and pulse until smooth. If you desire a thinner dressing, add a little more buttermilk pulse again. Serve immediately on salad greens or chill for later use.
Original Buttermilk Ranch Dressing recipe by Ina Garten.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 70Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 436mgCarbohydrates: 1gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 1g
Sheila Thigpen, author of Easy Chicken Cookbook and The 5-Ingredient Fresh and Easy Cookbook, is a recipe developer, food photographer, and food writer. She spent 20+ years as a business manager in the publishing industry before she retired in 2018 to focus on her passions — cooking, photography, and writing. Living near the beautiful Smoky Mountains, Sheila and her husband have two adult daughters and two fine sons-in-law, are active in their church, love to travel, and have a precious little granddaughter who has stolen their hearts. Follow Sheila on YouTube, Pinterest, Instagram, Facebook, and Twitter!