Being that it was birthday week for my hubby and that our daughters were in town for the weekend, we enjoyed a nice brunch on Saturday that ended with this Easy Rum Orange Cake for dessert. Yes, we had dessert at breakfast. Don’t judge us. We might even have had another slice before the day ended….oh, well…
At least we ate the cake with fresh fruit! Moist and delicious, this almost-made-from-scratch cake starts with a box of yellow cake mix, a package of lemon pudding, and fresh-squeezed orange juice. But, if you want to make it even easier, skip the fresh-squeezed OJ — it will turn out just as good! After baking, pour a sweet rum-orange glaze all over the top and let it soak it up–my family loved it! Enjoy!
15 minPrep Time
60 minCook Time
1 hr, 15 Total Time
- 1 (18.25 ounce) package yellow cake mix
- 1 (3 ounce) package instant lemon pudding mix
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice, about 2 medium oranges
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, room temperature
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1/3 cup fresh orange juice, about 1/2 orange
- 2/3 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter
- 3-4 tablespoons dark rum
- Confectioners' sugar, for sprinkling
- Grease a 10-inch Bundt pan. Preheat oven to 325 F .
- In a large bowl, stir together cake mix and pudding mix. Add 3/4 cup orange juice, oil, eggs and lemon extract. Beat on low speed until blended. Scrape bowl, and beat 4 minutes on medium speed. Pour batter into prepared pan.
- Bake in preheated oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Let cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely.
- In a saucepan over medium heat, cook 1/3 cup orange juice, sugar, butter and rum for two minutes. Drizzle over cake. Sprinkle cake with confectioner sugar just before serving. Delicious with fresh berries and whipped cream