Getting back to the basics in the kitchen with Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken – moist, juicy, and the ultimate Sunday supper.
Here’s one chicken that is worthy of a being the main event at your next Sunday supper without causing too much fuss for the cook. Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken starts with a basil rub that is made with simple blend of spices found in the pantry – basil, of course, along with paprika, and onion and garlic powders.
I was a little intimidated the first time I roasted a whole chicken, but after trying this recipe several years ago I learned that making roast chicken is actually one of the easiest home cooked meals to prepare as long as you have a little time.
Do the prep work, start baking, and then take a Sunday nap until dinner is ready! Start with a 6-7 pound roasting hen. Remove all the parts from the cavity, rinse, and dry thoroughly. Coat the hen with a couple of tablespoons of olive oil then rub all over with the spice blend.
Place the hen in a dutch oven or roasting pan and bake uncovered for two hours. Always test for doneness by checking to make sure the juices run clear or until a thermometer inserted into the inner thigh reads 155 degrees.
Although this recipe for Sweet Basil Roasted Chicken is for conventional roasting in the oven, it can easily be adapted for a slow cooker, but to get a crispy golden skin, stick with roasting it in the oven. For the slow cooker, cook on high for 4-5 hours or on low for 8-10 hours until juices run clear.
You can also roast vegetables with this chicken – toss in potatoes, carrots, and onion – for a complete no-fuss home-cooked meal your family will love. Enjoy!
10 minPrep Time
2 hrCook Time
2 hr, 10 Total Time
- 6-7 pound roasting chicken
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon dried basil
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- Remove all parts from the chicken cavity and rinse the chicken under cool water inside and out. Pat dry with paper towels and tie legs together with cooking string/twine. Place chicken in a roasting pan (you may place on a rack in the pan, but not entirely necessary).
- Mix together spices, lemon juice, and olive oil to make the rub and apply liberally all over chicken; bake uncovered for 2 hours at 350 degrees.
- Allow to cool slightly before carving or removing meat from the bone.
This recipe was originally clipped from packaging on a fresh hen. Sorry, no idea what poultry company to give credit!