Beefy Vegetable Soup, a soul-warming, short-cut soup bursting with flavor and ready to serve in just 30 minutes!
What is it about a bowl of steamy, hot soup that can literally just warm your soul on a cold, breezy day? We’ve been experiencing some unusually frigid temperatures the past couple of weeks here in the South and a big bowl of my 30-Minute Beefy Vegetable Soup has been just the thing to help warm us up on the inside! I call this a short-cut soup because it starts with by browning a big skillet of ground beef and diced onions (as opposed to stewing beef) and a few convenience items that you probably already have in your pantry and freezer.
This is one of my pantry challenge recipes. I take stock of what I have on hand and then see what delicious thing I can make without making a special trip to the grocery store—and use up some of those extras in the process! I challenge you to get creative in the kitchen and try it for yourself! Besides today’s soup, I’ve had success with a couple of other fun pantry creations like this Sausage Apple Breakfast Casserole and Whole Wheat Honey Banana Bread.
Today’s soup recipe is very versatile and can be adapted easily. For example, my recipe includes a can of pinto beans, but black beans or cannellini beans would work just as well. Also, I used a package of frozen mixed vegetables with carrots, peas, corn, and green beans, but any combination of frozen vegetables could work.
Other than dicing the onion and browning the ground beef, there’s not any other prep work required for this recipe, so it’s perfect for a week night meal. Simply let it simmer on the stove for 15-20 minutes to allow the flavors to meld and you’re ready to fill up a soup mug and warm your tummy with this delicious dinner!
30-Minute Beefy Vegetable Soup
- 1-1/2 lbs. lean ground beef
- 1 lg. onion, diced
- 1 14 oz. can low-sodium beef broth
- 1 8 oz. can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 10 oz. can diced tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 15.5 oz. can pinto beans, drained
- 1 10 oz. pkg. frozen mixed vegetables
- 2 teaspoons salt (or adjust to taste)
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 tablespoons worestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder optional
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef with the diced onion until cooked through. Remove from heat and drain off grease; set aside.
- Cook frozen vegetables in microwave according to package directions.
- Add all ingredients to a large soup pot and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce heat to low and simmer 15 minutes.