Pan-roast salmon filets with fennel bulb and cherry tomatoes for a delicious gourmet meal that’s ready in just 20 minutes!
Happy Friday, Friends! I’ve got a delicious, gourmet dinner recipe for you today: Mediterranean Salmon, a beautiful dish that can be on your dinner table in just 20 minutes! Since I’ve been on my healthy kick, we’ve come to love preparing grilled salmon outdoors for dinner, but on rainy days like today, this pan-roasted recipe is becoming a quick favorite as well!
Before I tried this recipe, I’d never cooked fennel bulb so I didn’t know quite what to expect. I’ve got to tell you, it’s not particularly easy to find if you’re a little unfamiliar with this produce like me. Some groceries call it anise and some call it fennel/anise on their stock labels. I think there’s a technical difference, but since I was none the wiser, I went with the fennel/anise bulb.
If you know what to do with the big stalk that you cut away from the bulb, please let me know because it seemed like a big waste to chop it off and throw it away! Anyway, the fennel bulb looks a little like an onion, but it has a hard core inside. For this recipe, I sliced the bulb into thin pieces and removed the core. Fennel and cherry tomatoes are tossed with a sweet spice rubbed and are then cooked with the salmon, adding a delicious flavor to the fish.
The thing I like about salmon is how easy it is to prepare, especially with this recipe. Simply sprinkle a spice rub—basil, oregano, rosemary, garlic powder, and sea salt—on the skinless side and sear it in olive oil for about five minutes. Turn the salmon and add the fennel and cherry tomatoes and cook for another five to six minutes. Seriously, this is an easy, yet impressive, meal to prepare. Enjoy!
- 1 teaspoon basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon rosemary
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 4 4-oz. salmon filets,, skin on
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 medium fennel bulb, , cored and thinly sliced
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- lemon wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the spices for the Mediterranean rub. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons evenly over salmon filets—not on the skin side.
- To the remaining spice rub, add the 2 tablespoons sugar and 2 teaspoons olive oil and stir.
- In a large bowl, toss fennel and cherry tomatoes with the spice mixture. Set aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Add the salmon to the skillet skin side up and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Flip salmon and add fennel mixture to the skillet around the filets and cook for another 5-6 minutes or until the fish flakes easily with a fork. Serve with lemon wedges.
Recipe by McCormick
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331 Total Fat: 20g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 15g Cholesterol: 71mg Sodium: 216mg Carbohydrates: 12g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 2g Sugar: 9g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 26g