It’s 6:45 a.m. Monday morning and as I look out the kitchen window, it’s still dark out there! Where did Summer go? We won’t set our clocks back for Daylight Savings Time for 6 more weeks (mark November 2 on your calendar), so that means that soon it will remain dark until at least 7:30 every morning. Sigh! Understand that I really do love Fall – -the cooler weather, roasting ‘smores in a backyard fire pit, cozy sweaters, beautiful Fall foliage, and yes, SEC football — but, I’m still going to miss our Summer weekends. Since Fall is obviously here to stay, it’s a good time to try my Banana-Chocolate Chip-Coconut Muffins made with whole wheat flour and of course, bananas, chocolate chips, and coconut!
This was my first time baking with whole wheat flour, and I was very happy with the results! These muffins have a nice texture and are chock full of chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut. I added more coconut and brown sugar to the tops before baking which resulted in a nicely toasted, sweet coconut topping. I adapted a recipe I found online at King Arthur Flour to fit the ingredients that I had on hand and cut it down to make fewer muffins (for just the two of us), but you can easily double the recipe below to make enough to feed more people.
Tip: I like to use paper liners when baking muffins or cupcakes, but sometimes the muffin still sticks to the bottom of the liners. I haven’t had this problem since I began lightly spraying the liners with cooking spray before adding the batter to them. Enjoy!
Banana-Chocolate Chip-Coconut Muffins
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 mashed banana about 1/2 cup
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-1/2 tablespoons milk
- 3/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/3 cup chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup chopped pecans
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- additional coconut and brown sugar for topping muffins
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Lightly grease 12 to 14 standard muffin cups.
- In a medium-sized mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar till smooth.
- Beat in the mashed banana, then the egg, flavorings, and milk.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, salt, and flours, stirring till smooth; if the mixture has a lot of lumps, beat at a higher speed until they've nearly disappeared.
- Stir in the chocolate chips, pecans, and coconut.
- Heap the thick batter into the prepared muffin cups, mounding them quite full. Sprinkle the top of each muffin with about 1 teaspoon coconut and 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar..
- Bake the muffins for 20 to 25 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center of muffin top comes out clean..
- Remove the muffins from the oven and transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- Yield: 6 muffins.