Make this rich Creamy Chicken Florentine Soup in the slow cooker with chicken, fresh spinach, and mushrooms, then top it off with homemade Parmesan croutons for extra flavor.
After the chicken is stewed in broth until it is tender and easy to shred, thicken the broth with a rich, buttery roux. I like to toss in mushrooms and fresh spinach leaves at the end of cooking, then season it all with freshly cracked black pepper. This is an absolutely delicious and decadent chicken stew!
Chicken Florentine Soup
After an unseasonably warm Christmas, it finally feels like Winter here in East Tennessee. Not that I enjoy the cold weather all that much, but I do enjoy making soup for these chilly days.
We had overnight guests on Saturday (our daughter and friends were in town for the Chris Stapleton concert), so I made a big Crockpot of Creamy Chicken Florentine Soup to warm them up before they hit the road Sunday afternoon.
Since I didn’t have a fresh loaf of crusty bread to serve with this hearty soup, I decided to make homemade Parmesan croutons out of a leftover French loaf that i had in the freezer.
How to Make Homemade Croutons
Making homemade croutons is really very easy and is a great use for any leftover, almost stale bread.
- Slice the bread into large chunks (for large bite-size croutons) and place the chunks on a rimmed baking sheet.
- Drizzle the bread with your favorite olive oil (I just eyeball it!). I like using extra virgin olive oil like Bellucci — 100% authentic Italian grown and produced and very flavorful.
- Sprinkle with a generous amount of dried Italian seasoning, garlic powder, and finely shredded Parmesan cheese.
- Gently toss to evenly coat all the bread chunks with the oil and spices.
- Toast the bread in a 400-degree oven for 15 to 20 minutes, stirring often, until the croutons are golden brown and have a nice crunch.
These croutons are great for soaking up all that yummy soup broth, but be careful that you don’t start nibbling on them before the soup is ready or you may not have any left for the soup!
More delicious chicken soup recipes!
- Instant Pot White Chicken – Instant Pot White Chicken Chili gets a kick ‘o spice from garlic, cumin, oregano, and red cayenne pepper, while it gets a creamy broth from Monterey Jack cheese.
- Cheesy Chicken Corn Chowder – Using a rotisserie chicken and frozen corn are real time savers in this homemade soup recipe, but you can always use fresh chicken and fresh cut-off corn if you prefer.
- White Chicken Chili Verde – This chili simmers all day in a broth of tangy salsa verde, jalapeños, green chilies, and cumin.
Chicken Florentine Soup Recipe
With or without the croutons, this soup is very filling and tasty with big chunks of shredded chicken, fresh spinach, and tender mushrooms. You could even top each serving with some extra freshly grated Parmesan cheese, if you like.
- 2-3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons sun-dried tomato pesto sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup butter
- 3/4 cup flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- 4 cups packed fresh spinach leaves
- 1 cup thinly sliced mushrooms
- Add chicken breasts, broth, chopped onion, pesto, salt, and Italian seasoning to slow cooker. Cook on low for six hours or on high for three hours.
- Remove chicken and shred using two forks. Return chicken and sliced mushrooms to the crock pot.
- Prepare a roux by melting butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in the flour and cook just until it becomes a light golden brown. Add milk and stir until thick and creamy. Stir in the wine until smooth.
- Add the mixture to the slow cooker temperature and reduce the temperature to low. Add spinach and stir. Cook soup another 15 minutes, or until spinach is melted and heated through.
Recipe adapted from Such the Spot
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 330Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 78mgSodium: 1410mgCarbohydrates: 21gFiber: 4gSugar: 4gProtein: 23g