Fall + football + family = a great weekend here in East Tennessee! Our daughters were home from Nashville for the weekend and, believe it or not, the four of us participated in our first Family 5K! The girls started training for a half marathon earlier this year and planted the seed that we should all do a family 5K. Initially, my response was, “Yeah, right,” seeing as how I am not a runner. Anyway, long story short, John and I began training (a.k.a. walking) and when I saw the announcement about the Team Faith 5K, it seemed like the right time to jump in!
After completing the race Saturday morning, we spent the afternoon at home watching the UT-GA game (if only the VOLS had won!) and snacking on Sausage, Bean, and Spinach Dip, a new favorite for our football party menu!
Saturday’s 5K was in honor of Faith’s ninth birthday (funds will help with adoption expenses for her little brother from Haiti). Faith was born with Spina Bifida and despite predictions she would never walk, she is determined to show everyone what can be accomplished through FAITH. “Because I want to show people that God made me walk. I want to let everyone know that even if they have Spina Bifida they can finish a race!” Her first race was March 15, 2014. I feel honored to have completed my first 5K as part of Faith’s birthday celebration!
As for today’s recipe, at first my family was a little skeptical when they read the ingredients, but we all loved this appetizer! Cook the sausage, onion, and red bell pepper together, melt in the cheese and remaining ingredients, bake for 20 minutes, and serve! Easy and delicious! I served this dip with corn chip scoops and traditional tortilla chips–not the thin ones–this dip demands a hearty chip. Enjoy!
Sausage, Bean, and Spinach Dip
- 1 sweet onion diced
- 1 red bell pepper diced
- 1 1-lb. package hot ground pork sausage
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- 1/2 cup dry white wine or cooking wine
- 1 8-oz. package cream cheese, softened
- 1 6-oz. package fresh baby spinach, coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 15-oz. can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375°. Cook diced onion and next 2 ingredients in a large skillet over medium-high heat, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until meat crumbles and is no longer pink. Drain. Stir in garlic and thyme; cook 1 minute. Stir in wine; cook 2 minutes or until liquid has almost completely evaporated.
- Add cream cheese, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until cream cheese is melted. Stir in spinach and salt, and cook, stirring constantly, 2 minutes or until spinach is wilted. Gently stir in beans. Pour mixture into a 2-qt. baking dish; sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
- Bake at 375° for 18 to 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with corn chip scoops or tortilla chips.