Cooler weather calls for hearty one-bowl meals like soups, stews, and one of my favorites, GUMBO! Serve Chicken, Sausage, and Shrimp Gumbo on top of rice and adjust the heat to your taste by adding a sprinkle of hot pepper sauce.
I like to grill my chicken and Italian sausages for this dish, but to save time you may purchase pre-cooked chicken and Keilbasa instead. Using frozen veggies is another time saver, but using fresh chopped peppers, onions, and celery works just as well. Remember to add the shrimp at the end of cooking so that it doesn’t become chewy and rubbery. It only needs to cook until it becomes opaque. Enjoy!
- 8-12 oz. Italian sausage links
- 2 boneless chicken breast
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8- oz. frozen okra
- 8- oz. frozen onions, peppers, and celery
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 cup flour
- 32- oz. chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 28- oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 12 oz. medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- White or Brown rice, prepared according to package directions
- Hot sauce, to taste
- Cook chicken and Italian sausage - either grill or bake - then slice into bite size pieces. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add chopped onions and sauté until tender, about 5 minutes. Add frozen vegetables, sausage, and Creole seasoning. Cook another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add flour and stir to coat all veggies. Gradually begin to add the chicken broth, a little at a time, stirring to blend until it begins to boil.
- Immediately reduce heat and add chicken Worcestershire sauce, and crushed tomatoes. Add shrimp and simmer for about 10 minutes, until slightly thickened.
- Serve over rice with extra hot sauce.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 1411Total Fat: 99gSaturated Fat: 36gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 74gCholesterol: 312mgSodium: 3697mgCarbohydrates: 38gFiber: 4gSugar: 14gProtein: 89g