Did you know that hushpuppies actually were first attributed to hunters who fried up some basic cornmeal mixture to feed to their howling hounds on hunting trips? “Hush, puppies!” Later on, these quick-fried delicacies became a popular side dish at Southern fish frys and barbecue dinners. Hushpuppies have come a long way since the colonial times deep-fried cornmeal and water.
These puppies have sweet Vidalia onion and fresh summer corn plus a little chopped green onion and diced jalapeño for extra flavor. Buttermilk in the batter results in a moist texture that practically melts in your mouth.
Use a spoon dipped in a little water to carefully slide the batter into the hot oil. These fry up quickly in small batches and will disappear almost as fast when you serve them on your dinner table!
- Peanut or canola oil,, for frying
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 small Vidalia onion,, diced
- 1 ear corn,, kernels cut from cob
- 4 green onions,, thinly sliced
- 1 jalapeño,, finely chopped
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg,, beaten
- 1/4 cup grated cheddar cheese
- Preheat 2 inches oil in a deep-fryer to 375 degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine cornmeal, flour, salt, sugar, Stir in diced veggies and cheese.
- In another bowl, stir together buttermilk, egg, and cheese. Add to dry ingredients, stirring well to combine.
- Carefully slide batter into hot oil by tablespoons, working in batches of 4-6 hushpuppies at a time. Cook the hushpuppies for 3 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Test to make sure the first one is cooked through.
- Drain hushpuppies on a paper towel-lined baking sheet. Continue process until all the batter is used up.
Recipe adapted from Patrick and Gina Neely, Food Network
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 228 Total Fat: 6g Saturated Fat: 2g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 37mg Sodium: 495mg Carbohydrates: 36g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 5g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 8g