Picnic season is just around the corner so I thought I’d share my favorite Easy Baked Beans recipe with y’all. Seasoned with bacon and onions, these baked beans make a perfect side dish for grilled burgers or barbecued chicken. What makes them so easy? Start with basic pork-n-beans and stir onions sautéd in bacon fat, a few other basic ingredients, and bake–nothing fancy! You can skip adding the bacon on top, but definitely don’t skip sautéing the onions in bacon fat. Like any good Southern cook, I save my bacon drippings and store in a cup in the refrigerator for these type of recipes, do you?
Outdoor grilling and picnic season can’t get here soon enough for me. Enjoy!
- 3 16- ounce cans pork-n-beans in tomato sauce
- 4 slices bacon
- 1/2 cup sweet onion, chopped
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mustard
- Fry bacon until crisp; drain on paper towels and reserve drippings.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook onion in a small amount of reserved bacon fat, about 2 tablespoons, until translucent.
- In a large bowl, mix together beans, sautéed onions, and remaining ingredients. If desired, crumble bacon and add to bean mixture or reserve slices for topping beans later.
- Pour into an 11x7-inch baking dish and bake for 1-1/2 hours.
- Remove from oven and stir; top with bacon slices, if desired. Let stand for a few minutes before serving.
Original recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens NEW Cookbook, 1980
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 494Total Fat: 26gSaturated Fat: 9gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 155mgSodium: 495mgCarbohydrates: 15gFiber: 2gSugar: 9gProtein: 49g