Mini baked Pumpkin Donuts with Molasses Glaze are bursting with Fall flavor – pumpkin and spices, a cinnamon glaze with a spoonful of molasses, and toasted walnuts.
Can you believe that it’s just another week until Thanksgiving?! Our family will be coming here this year, so I’ve been busy thinking about the Thanksgiving menu by scanning magazines and food blogs for the past couple of weeks. Even so, I keep coming back to the traditional favorites — why mess with a good thing?
Normally, our family meets for an early afternoon meal so that people can go visit or eat a second Thanksgiving meal with their other side of family. Since we eat early and will be busy preparing for the feast, I’m planning on baking mini Pumpkin Donuts with Molasses Glaze the night before to enjoy on Thanksgiving morning with our coffee.
The secret to keeping homemade donuts fresh for a couple of days is storing them on a glass cake plate with a dome lid or keeping them in a ziplock bag that is not totally sealed. (If you wrap them up tight, they will become stale and chewy.)
I’m loving the combination of Fall flavors in this donut — pumpkin and spices, a cinnamon glaze flavored with a spoonful of molasses, and toasted walnuts. If you don’t have a donut pan, you must get one! Homemade baked donuts are so easy and so fun to make! Check out my other baked donut recipes:
- Cinnamon Roll Baked Donuts remind me of upside down cakes, with a brown sugar-cinnamon topping baked right into the sweet dough.
- Mocha Glazed Baked Donut – A basic baked donut recipe that you can customize with your favorite glazes and toppings.
Give Thanks to the Lord for He is good; His love endures forever. –Psalms 107:1
- 2 cups self-rising flour
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar,, packed
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs,, room temperature
- 1/4 cup buttermilk,, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, melted, slightly cooled
- 1 1/2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/4 teaspooon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tablespoon molasses
- 2-3 tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Lightly coat mini donut pans with cooking spray.
- Whisk together the flour, spices, and salt in a medium bowl. Combine buttermilk and melted butter in a separate bowl and set aside.
- Using a stand mixer, mix the sugars, pumpkin puree, and eggs until combined. Set speed on low and alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture. Do not over mix.
- Pipe or spoon batter into prepared mini donut pans, filling molds a little over half full. Bake for 13-15 minutes or until the donuts spring back to touch.
- Cool in pan for two minutes before removing from pans. Cool completely on wire rack before glazing.
- In a small bowl, whisk together powdered sugar, cinnamon, molassses and milk until smooth. Add more milk a tablespoon at a time until the desired consistency. Dip one side of cooled donut into glaze and place on a wire rack, iced side up. Sprinkle walnuts on top of glaze. Let donuts sit until glaze has set, about 10 minutes.
Recipe adapted from The Little Epicurean.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:18 donuts
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 162Total Fat: 3gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 28mgSodium: 264mgCarbohydrates: 31gFiber: 1gSugar: 19gProtein: 2g