Fresh Herb Potato Salad. The flavor of this classic, creamy potato salad is enhanced by using fresh herbs—tarragon and parsley—in the dressing. You’ll make Grandma proud with this recipe!
Fresh Herb Potato Salad
You can’t have an honest-to-goodness, old-fashioned picnic unless there’s a heaping bowl of homemade potato salad on the table. All you girls raised in the South (GRITS) know exactly what I’m talking about.
At every church potluck or picnic, you could bet your britches that Grandma’s potato salad would be gracing the table.
She’d be smiling all the way home carrying an empty bowl and beaming over all the compliments bestowed on her for making the “best-ever” potato salad.
If your Grandma didn’t pass down her prize recipe for the stuff, then let me suggest you try today’s Fresh Herb Potato Salad recipe from Southern Living that I’ve been making for our family for years.
You can bet this dish will be on our picnic table again this July 4th (at the request of my girls) and I’ll also be smiling from ear-to-ear while everyone digs in and enjoys the feast!
Of course, what makes this recipe so good is the FRESH herbs. Tarragon has become one of my favorite herbs to use not only in this potato salad, but in chicken salad as well.
This recipe requires a little extra effort, but there’s nothing difficult or hard about it. Just watch my short recipe video to see how simple it really is to make potato salad.
PRO TIP: For the best results, combine the dressing and potato mixture while the potatoes are still warm, stirring gently just until all ingredients are coated. Chill immediately.
Fresh Herb Potato Salad is the perfect summer side dish for any picnic or barbecue because it pairs well with burgers, ribs, or chicken. So, let the summer picnics begin!
UPDATE: I originally shared this recipe and the photo below with my readers in 2014. Fast forward to July 2018…hopefully, my photography skills and writing have improved.
I hope you enjoy this favorite old recipe with the new photos and bonus short recipe video.
- 4 pounds Yukon gold potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced celery
- 1/3 cup finely chopped green onions
- 3 hard-cooked eggs, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup lite mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup lite sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh tarragon
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon stone ground Dijon mustard, (Trader Joe's)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Wash potatoes and place in a large pot. Cover with water and bring to a boil over medium high heat. Cook for 30 to 40 minutes or until tender; drain and cool 15 minutes before peeling and cutting into i-inch cubes.
- Place potatoes in a large bowl with the diced celery, green onions, and chopped eggs. Stir gently.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayo and sour cream with the chopped herbs, garlic, and mustard. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour dressing over potato mixture and stir gently. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 12 hours.
Southern Living, JUNE 2012
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 64mgSodium: 509mgCarbohydrates: 43gFiber: 5gSugar: 3gProtein: 8g