California Quiche. A veggie lover’s egg dish with fresh zucchini, red bell peppers, onion, and artichoke hearts.
Seriously, friends, how can it be Thanksgiving week already? This girl not only needs to get it in gear and start some Christmas shopping, I need to do the first thing and make a list so that I’ll be ready for the big Cyber Shopping Weekend.
How about you? Do you do the traditional Black Friday shopping in the malls or online? I prefer to avoid the crowds and spend just a little more time in my pajamas, so it’s online for me! I figure that many of you may have extra houseguests this week, so I’m sharing the recipe for California Quiche which is great for brunch.
I made my California Quiche in a tart pan with my favorite pastry for the crust. Toss in sautéed zucchini, onion, a few mushrooms and red bell peppers along with artichoke hearts, Monterey Jack cheese, and some fresh oregano.
To make ahead, make the dough and sauté the veggies and refrigerate them overnight. Then you can assemble the quiche in just minutes when you’re ready to cook. Happy Thanksgiving, Friends!
35 minCook Time
35 minTotal Time
- Pie Dough
- 6 oz, artichoke hearts, drained (reserve 2 tablespoons of the marinade)
- 1 small zucchini, chopped into 1 inch cubes
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon fresh oregano, chopped
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese
- Make pie dough and line tart pan or deep dish pie plate.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Saute veggies in 2 tablespoons reserved marinade.
- Layer veggies and artichoke hearts into pie crust. Sprinkle with cheese.
- Whisk together the eggs, half and half, milk, salt, and pepper; pour over cheese. Sprinkle with the fresh oregano and bake at 425 degrees for 15 minutes. If using a tart pan, place a cookie sheet on the rack underneath.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350 degrees and continue baking 20 minutes or until set. Cool for 15 minutes before serving.