Classic Quiche Lorraine, named for the Lorraine region of France, is a savory egg custard baked in a pie crust with crisply fried bacon, scallions, and Swiss cheese. You can prepare the quiche using either a homemade pie dough or a refrigerated pie crust, both with delicious results.
With nearly a pound of bacon, a half dozen eggs, plenty of cheese, and a cup of heavy cream, this is a deliciously rich breakfast pie. You’ll be proud to serve this dish at any special brunch or luncheon.
Classic Quiche Lorraine
Over 50 years ago, the legendary Julia Child introduced French cuisine to American housewives with her PBS cooking series, The French Chef. Many of the dishes Julia introduced have become fairly commonplace, but there’s nothing ordinary about Quiche Lorraine.
This savory quiche has layers of crisp-fried bacon, scallions, and Swiss cheese topped with a creamy egg custard. Julia’s original recipe was baked in a homemade pastry crust. There’s no shame in taking a shortcut with refrigerated pie dough though — it saves considerable prep time!
How to make Quiche Lorraine
Line a 9-inch glass pie dish with a refrigerated pie crust. Allow the crust to come to room temperature before unrolling and placing in the pie plate. Turn the edges under and gently crimp using a fork or two fingers.
If you prefer a homemade crust, this one is my favorite. Just be sure to bake it for a few minutes before filling with the quiche ingredients (this step is not necessary if you use a refrigerated crust).
Cover the crust with a layer bacon—about 10 slices cooked and crumbled.
Next, sprinkle with sliced green onions or scallions, and one cup of shredded Swiss cheese.
Whisk together six eggs, ½ cup milk, and 1 cup heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and add a dash of nutmeg. Pour into the pie dish.
Top the quiche with another ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese and sprinkle with red cayenne pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Baking times may vary, just be sure to bake until the middle no longer jiggles.
- Rustic Sausage and Grits Egg Skillet. Bake and serve in cast iron for a deliciously fun country brunch with layers of cheesy grits, sausage, and eggs.
- Breakfast Enchiladas. This breakfast casserole is filled with savory sausage, eggs, and cheese and smothered with a versatile green chili cheese sauce.
- Southwestern Breakfast Frittata Casserole. This dish has a soft tamale-like texture. Loaded with pepper jack cheese, the casserole is garnished with thinly sliced fresh tomatoes.
- California Quiche. A veggie lover’s egg dish with fresh zucchini, red bell peppers, onion, and artichoke hearts.
Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it. – Julia Child
To make this recipe, you may need…
The following are affiliate links. We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliate sites.
I use my Pyrex glass pie plates all the time and love that they have the easy grab scalloped edge.
What else is new? Check out my Life, Love, and Good Food Store on Amazon! Thanks so much for being a part of our community!
This savory egg breakfast pie is one of our family’s favorites. I just love that it is so easy to put together! Remember, it’s important to let the quiche set for about 15 minutes before slicing and serving. Bon appétit!
- 1/2 pkg. refrigerated pie crusts
- 8 - 10 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Allow pie dough to come to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Unroll and place in pie plate, turning edges under and crimping.
- Sprinkle the crumbled, cooked bacon over the crust. Sprinkle scallions and 1 cup of the Swiss cheese on top of the bacon.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, and milk. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Carefully pour egg mixture into crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and a dash of ground red pepper.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until lightly browned and set in middle. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387Total Fat: 31gSaturated Fat: 15gTrans Fat: 1gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 210mgSodium: 682mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 18g