Classic Quiche Lorraine, named for the Lorraine region of France, is a savory egg custard that is baked in a pie crust with crisply fried and crumbled bacon, sliced scallions, and Swiss cheese. You can prepare the quiche using either a homemade pie dough or a refrigerated pie crust, both with delicious results. Nearly a pound of bacon, a half dozen eggs, plenty of cheese, and a cup of heavy cream makes this a deliciously rich breakfast pie that you’ll be proud to serve for any special brunch or luncheon.
Over 50 years ago, the legendary Julia Child introduced French cuisine to American housewives with her cooking series, The French Chef, on PBS. Since then, many of the dishes she introduced have become fairly commonplace. Even so, there’s nothing ordinary about Classic Quiche Lorraine.
This savory quiche is created by layering crisp-fried bacon, scallions, and Swiss cheese inside a pie crust and then filling with a creamy egg custard. Julia’s original recipe was baked inside a homemade pastry crust, but there’s no shame in taking a shortcut by using a refrigerated pie dough AND it saves considerable prep time!
How to make Classic Quiche Lorraine
Line a 9-inch glass pie dish with a refrigerated pie crust. Allow the crust to come to room temperature before unrolling and placing in the pie plate. Turn the edges under and gently crimp using a fork or two fingers. If you prefer to make a homemade crust, this one is my favorite, but be sure to bake it for a few minutes before filling with the quiche ingredients (this step is not necessary if you use a refrigerated crust).
Cover the crust with a layer bacon—about 10 slices cooked and crumbled.
Next, sprinkle with sliced green onions or scallions, and one cup of shredded Swiss cheese.
Whisk together six eggs, ½ cup milk, and 1 cup heavy cream. Season with salt and pepper and add a dash of nutmeg. Pour into the pie dish.
Top the quiche with another ½ cup shredded Swiss cheese and sprinkle with red cayenne pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes. Baking times may vary, just be sure to bake until the middle no longer jiggles.
You may also enjoy these other breakfast egg recipes:
- Rustic Sausage and Grits Egg Skillet — Bake and serve in cast iron for a deliciously fun country brunch with layers of cheesy grits, sausage, and eggs.
- Breakfast Enchiladas — This breakfast casserole is filled with savory sausage, eggs, and cheese and smothered with a versatile green chili cheese sauce.
- Southwestern Breakfast Frittata Casserole — This dish has a soft tamale-like texture and is loaded with pepper jack cheese and garnished with thinly sliced fresh tomatoes.
- California Quiche — A veggie lover’s egg dish with fresh zucchini, red bell peppers, onion, and artichoke hearts.
Classic Quiche Lorraine
This savory egg breakfast pie is one of our family’s favorites and I love that it is so easy to put together! Remember, it’s important to let the quiche set for about 15 minutes after you remove it from the oven before slicing and serving. Bon appétit!
Find something you’re passionate about and keep tremendously interested in it. – Julia Child
DID YOU MAKE THIS CLASSIC QUICHE LORRAINE RECIPE?
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 1/2 pkg. refrigerated pie crusts
- 8 - 10 slices bacon, fried crisp and crumbled
- 1/4 cup scallions, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups Swiss cheese, grated
- 6 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground red pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Allow pie dough to come to room temperature, about 15 minutes. Unroll and place in pie plate, turning edges under and crimping.
- Sprinkle the crumbled, cooked bacon over the crust. Sprinkle scallions and 1 cup of the Swiss cheese on top of the bacon.
- Whisk together eggs, cream, and milk. Add salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Carefully pour egg mixture into crust. Sprinkle with remaining cheese and a dash of ground red pepper.
- Bake 40 - 45 minutes or until lightly browned and set in middle. Cool 15 minutes before serving.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 387 Total Fat: 31g Saturated Fat: 15g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 210mg Sodium: 682mg Carbohydrates: 10g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 2g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 18g