Avocado toast may be all the rave, but my preference lately is Savory Fig Ricotta Toast made with whipped ricotta, arugula, Italian salami, and dried California black mission figs. I was inspired to create this recipe using black mission figs after trying a similar toast with fig jam at a trendy Nashville restaurant. My ricotta toast breakfast has so many layers of flavor. The subtleness of the protein-packed cheese is complimented with the nuttiness of arugula, saltiness from salami, sweetness from figs and a drizzle of honey, and a little heat from freshly ground cracked black pepper. Married together, this simple recipe of figs on toast is outstanding!
Every time we visit our daughter in Nashville, she likes to introduce us to a trendy, new restaurant. A few weeks ago, we enjoyed breakfast at Milk & Honey. Located in the Gulch, Milk & Honey specializes in homemade gelato, coffee drinks, sweets, and pastries, as well as many delicious breakfast and lunch items. I chose to try the Fig & Ricotta Toast and was immediately hooked on the combination!
So, when I had the opportunity to create my own toast recipe at The Foodie Bootcamp (a blogging conference in Salt Lake City), I knew I had to incorporate both ricotta and figs! For two solid days I was fortunate to be coached by some of the best bloggers and photographers in the business and was able to experiment with new ingredients supplied by the conference brand sponsors.
How to make whipped ricotta:
Some whole-milk ricotta cheese can be a little thick coming out of the carton and isn’t optimal for spreading. Follow these steps to make a more spreadable whipped ricotta:
- Add a small amount of lemon juice and extra virgin olive oil to whole-milk ricotta (see full recipe below).
- Mix together to combine and to incorporate air into the mixture, making it a bit fluffy. You can do this in a blender or with a hand mixer, or simply with a whisk.
- Season with sea salt and serve.
Did you know 2018 is the Year of the Fig?
Well, neither did I! But, it actually makes sense. Due to its growing popularity—and frequent appearances on trendy restaurant menus apparently—fig was named the flavor of the year by the world’s largest privately held fragrance and flavor house, Firmenich Flavors. Here are a few fun fig facts for those trivia lovers:
- Fig blossoms are not on the tree branches, but are inside the fruit! The tiny flowers produce the seeds that give figs their unique texture.
- Figs help hold in moisture in baked goods, keeping them fresher.
- Fig puree can be used to replace fat in baked goods.
- A half cup of figs has as much calcium as a half cup of milk.
- California produces 100% of the nation’s dried figs and 98% of the fresh figs.
Savory Fig Ricotta Toast is a quick and tasty breakfast or lunch.
Gourmet toasts are popular not only because of their deliciousness, but because they can be prepared quickly and easily. In just five minutes, you can whip up the ricotta and have this beautiful toast on a plate for breakfast before heading out the door to start your day. It’s just as easy to pack the ingredients to prepare Savory Ricotta Toast for lunch at the office. Be careful, though, you could be the envy of your office mates!
You may also like these other recipes that use ricotta as a primary ingredient:
- Savory Ricotta Scones are light and fluffy scones that are perfect for breakfast, brunch, or even served in place of dinner rolls.
- Lemon Poppy Seed Ricotta Pancakes (original recipe comes from the chef of the luxurious Four Seasons Hotel in New York) have a delightful burst of lemon flavor and literally melt in your mouth. I believe that’s due to the airy batter which is made with ricotta cheese!
- Raspberry Ricotta Cake with a simple lemon glaze that perfectly compliment the raspberries. This pretty made-from-sratch cake can be whipped together and ready to bake in just 15 minutes!
- Cannoli, an Italian pastry with a creamy filling made with cream cheese and ricotta cheese, makes any celebration extra special.
DID YOU MAKE THIS SAVORY FIG RICOTTA TOAST RECIPE?
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
And, if you’re into sharing photos of your cooking adventures, please tag @lifeloveandgoodfood on Instagram and hashtag it #lifeloveandgoodfood. Happy cooking, friends!
Savory Fig Ricotta Toast
- 4 slices sourdough bread lightly toasted
- 1 cup fresh arugula torn into bite size pieces
- 4 oz. Italian salami thinly sliced (Creminelli's Felino)
- 1/2 cup dried California mission figs sliced
- 4 teaspoons honey (Nature Nate's)
- freshly ground cracked black pepper
- 1 cup whole-milk ricotta
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- sprinkle of sea salt
- Lightly toast sourdough bread slices. Spread each piece of toast with whipped ricotta and layer arugula, salami, and sliced figs evenly on top. Drizzle each piece with a teaspoon of honey (or more to your liking) and season with freshly ground black pepper. Serve immediately, open-faced.
- In a small bowl, whisk the ricotta together with lemon juice and olive oil. Season with sea salt and serve.