Crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings are tender on the inside and nicely crisp on the outside — without frying! This healthier onion ring recipe makes simply the best baked onion rings using sweet Vidalia onions and a three-step dredging process. Dip thick onion ring slices in seasoned flour, dip in a buttermilk egg mixture, and finally coat with panko bread crumbs.
Not only do I like this recipe because it is healthier than frying, but I also love that you don’t have the challenge of cleaning up or storing the leftover oil from the fryer. That’s a win-win for me!
Crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings
If you’re planning on driving through Georgia this summer, how about stopping at one of those roadside markets for me and picking up a big sack of Vidalia onions?!
Vidalia onions have a distinct sweet flavor because of the sulfur content in the soil in Vidalia, Georgia, where they are grown. They are not sharp like a white or red onion can be, and no tears are involved when slicing them, either! That makes these deliciously sweet onions perfect for making Crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings.
How to make homemade oven baked onion rings from scratch.
To prepare the onions for baking, first peel and slice them into one-quarter-inch slices and separate them into rings. (I had my set up going right-to-left when I made these, so you’d think I was dyslexic!) To bread the onions, dredge them first in the seasoned flour, then dip in the buttermilk egg mixture (shaking off the excess), and lastly dredge in a mixture of panko breadcrumbs, salt, and olive oil.
Lay the rings onto parchment-paper lined baking sheets — no need to oil the pan since the oil is in the panko mixture. To save space, you can place smaller rings inside larger rings. These bake for about 20 minutes at 450 degrees, or until golden brown.
For even crisping and browning, flip the rings over about midway through baking. If you have leftovers, these heat up nicely. Just place them on a baking sheet in a 400-degree oven for about 10-12 minutes.
How about these sandwich recipes?
Onion rings are a great accompaniment to burgers, hot dogs, and sandwiches, Here are a few tasty options to consider:
Crispy Oven Baked Onion Rings Recipe
I could make a meal on just these onion rings — they are so tender inside and are nicely crisp on the outside. They make a great side for grilled hotdogs or burgers and would be a terrific appetizer as well. Serve them with ketchup or your favorite dipping sauce. Enjoy, friends!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board! AND…if you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 4 eggs
- 3 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2-3 Vidalia onions,, peeled and sliced into 1/4-inch rings
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper; set aside. Peel and slice onions into 1/4-inch slices and separate into rings; set aside.
Prepare the dipping station - you'll need three shallow dishes or bowls:
- In the first bowl, combine the flour, paprika and 2 teaspoons salt.
- In the second bowl, whisk together the buttermilk and eggs. Now add half of the flour mixture from the first bowl and whisk until smooth.
- In the third bowl, mix together the panko breadcrumbs, olive oil, and 2 teaspoons salt.
Batter the onion rings:
- Dredge the onion rings in the flour mixture first, then dip into the buttermilk batter, coating all sides. Gently shake off the excess batter, then dredge in the panko mixture being sure to coat well.
- Place the breaded onion rings on the baking sheets in a single layer.
- Bake 20 minutes, or until golden brown, flipping halfway through the cooking time for even crisping and browning.
Original recipe by Food Network.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 435Total Fat: 12gSaturated Fat: 3gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 9gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1517mgCarbohydrates: 66gFiber: 4gSugar: 12gProtein: 15g