This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Fresh Corn and Avocado Salad is a true farm-to-table summer side dish. Today’s fresh corn avocado salad recipe starts with fresh cut off sweet corn that’s tossed with juicy cherry tomatoes, red onion, and fresh basil leaves.
There’s no heavy dressing on this salad, only a light and flavorful Dijon vinaigrette to complement the fresh veggies. Just before serving, add chopped avocado and garnish with more basil.
This dish is colorful, flavorful, and one of my favorite ways to serve fresh corn! Once you’ve tried this recipe, you’ll find yourself making it again and again for picnics and backyard barbecue parties.
Easy fresh corn and avocado salad
My Dad always planted a huge garden and all Summer long we enjoyed eating fresh vegetables. He was most proud of his rows and rows of Silver King corn and readily shared the bounty with our neighbors. I helped shuck and silk corn by the bushels and my grandmother would make the richest creamed corn for Sunday dinners.
Over the years, I’ve learned that I like to eat corn other ways besides on the cob and cream-style, particularly in salads like easy Fresh Corn and Avocado Salad.
This salad is so easy, you don’t even have to boil water to cook the corn on the cob!
How to cook corn on the cob in the microwave
Cooking the corn on the cob in the microwave for this recipe saves a lot of time. Here are the easy steps:
- Shuck and silk the corn.
- Wrap each ear in a damp paper towel.
- Place three ears of wrapped corn on a microwave safe plate.
- Cook in the microwave for 5-6 minutes or until the corn is fork-tender.
- Carefully remove the hot plate from the microwave and unwrap the corn.
Note: For this recipe, rinse the cooked corn under cool water to make for easier handling when cutting off the kernels.
Making fresh corn avocado salad dressing
Besides salt and pepper, this light vinaigrette literally has only three ingredients — olive oil as the base, Dijon mustard, and white wine vinegar.
Whisk all the ingredients together and season to taste with salt and pepper. It’s as simple as that!
- Add a can of rinsed and drained black beans for a Tex-Mex feel
- Toss in a chopped and seeded cucumber
- Use diced scallions instead of red onion
- Substitute cilantro for basil
More summer salad recipes!
- Catalina Salad
- Grilled Panzanella Skewer Salad
- Lightened Up Broccoli Salad
- Seven Layer Salad with Parmesan Ranch Dressing
- Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Lemon Basil Potato Salad
- Tex-Mex Chicken Salad with Pico de Gallo
- Grilled Salmon Salad
- Even more salads!
Fresh Corn and Avocado Salad
- 6 ears fresh corn on the cob
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes halved
- 1/2 cup red onion thinly sliced
- 1 large avocado cut into 1/2-in. cubes
- 1/3 cup basil leaves chopped
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stone ground Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Wrap each ear of corn in a damp paper towel. Place three wrapped ears on a microwave-safe plate. Microwave for 5 minutes, or until the corn is tender. Unwrap and rinse with cold water to cool. Repeat with the remaining corn.
- In a large bowl, Cut off kernels.gently combine the corn, tomatoes, red onion and avocado.
- In a smaller bowl, whisk together the vinaigrette ingredients until well blended.
- Pour the vinaigrette over the salad and add chopped fresh basil. Toss gently and serve.