Malted chocolate isn’t just for milkshakes! Malted Mousse Brownies have chocolate malt powder both in the brownie batter and in the creamy topping.
Last week, I made an impulse purchase at the supermarket checkout line and bought a movie-size box of WHOPPERS, chocolate covered malt balls (not to be confused with moth balls!). I guess I was feeling nostalgic because I haven’t even thought about eating this candy since I was a teenager. It must have been fate that I tossed the candy into my shopping cart because literally the next day I stumbled across a recipe for Malted Mousse Brownies. Super simple to make, these brownies are enhanced with chocolate malt powder and topped with a silky smooth malted mousse topping and more coarsely chopped Whoppers on top.
This almost homemade dessert starts with a boxed brownie mix. Adding a little chocolate malt powder to the brownie batter (I used Ovaltine) gives the brownies a malted flavor boost.
When I was growing up, Whoppers came packaged in a milk carton which we thought was just so cool. We’d open the spout, pass the carton around, and pour out handfuls to share. They’d disappear quickly because once you bit into the chocolate shell, the rest of the malt candy practically melted in your mouth. That’s what happens with these brownies, too!
Choose a brownie mix for baking in a 9×13-inch pan, and if the directions on the package give options for “fudgey” or “cake” brownies, go for “cake” for the best results. Garnish the brownies with coarsely chopped Whoppers just before serving. You might even like to add a drizzle of chocolate syrup for a little extra flair!
Here are a few other fancy brownie recipes you might also enjoy:
- 1 box milk chocolate brownie mix, (for 13x9 inch pan)
- 1/4 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 2 teaspoons unflavored gelatin
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups whipping cream
- 1/2 cup chocolate malted milk powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup coarsely chopped malted milk balls
- Prepare brownies per package directions for a 13x9-inch baking dish, adding 1/4 cup of the chocolate malted milk powder. Bake as directed and cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Sprinkle gelatin over 2 tablespoons water in a small saucepan and let stand for 5 minutes. Over low heat, cook and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- Add whipping cream, 1/2 cup malted milk powder and vanilla to a large mixing bowl and beat on medium speed until soft peaks form. Slowly add the gelatin mixture, and continue beating until stiff peaks form.
- Spread topping over brownies. Cover and chill until set, about 3 hours or overnight. Before serving, sprinkle with chopped malted milk balls and and cut into squares.
Original recipe from Midwest Living.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 133Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 26mgSodium: 24mgCarbohydrates: 9gFiber: 0gSugar: 6gProtein: 2g
Did you make this recipe?
Please leave a comment on the blog or share a photo on Instagram