This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
Recently, we’ve been experimenting with roasting red bell peppers on the grill — they are so much better than the oily jarred version — and I’m amazed with how easy it is to do. Now that we’ve figured out this simple trick and red bell peppers are in season, you’ll be seeing lots more recipes like Roasted Red Pepper and Bacon Bruschetta appearing right here on the blog! This bruschetta is a delicious variation of the traditional tomato-based recipe and includes BACON, so you know it’s going to be good!
All it takes to roast the peppers at home is about 15 minutes on a closed-lid grill at medium heat. Cook the peppers until the skins are blackened and blistered, turning them often. This will insure that the peppers are cooked evenly on all sides and that the meat will be tender throughout. The trick to easily removing the charred skins is to allow the peppers to “rest” in a glass bowl covered with plastic wrap.
The peppers will steam, loosening the skins, and after about 10-15 minutes, they can be easily removed by gently rubbing the peppers to peel them off. Store away that little kitchen hack because it is a handy thing to know!
The roasted red bell peppers and crispy bacon are marinated together in olive oil and red wine vinegar in this simple recipe from one of my favorite cookbooks, Weber’s Way to Grill cookbook. I like to layer freshly grated parmesan cheese and chopped basil on top of the red bell pepper bruschetta in a shallow dish — it makes for a pretty presentation, don’t you think?
Just serve with toasted baguette slices and watch this yummy spread disappear! This is a great appetizer for your next steak night, Italian meal, or tapas party. Enjoy, friends!
Roasted Red Pepper-Bacon Bruschetta
- 3 medium red bell peppers or a mix of red and yellow bell peppers
- 6 slices bacon cooked and finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil divided
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- salt to taste
- 1 baguette sliced and toasted
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- Preheat the grill to medium heat. Grill the peppers over direct medium heat with the lid closed until blackened and blistered all over, about 12 to 15 minutes, turning 3-4 times.
- Place the peppers in a glass bowl and cover with plastic wrap and let stand for 10 to 15 minutes to make peeling easier. Peel away the charred skins, cut off the tops, and remove the seeds. Dice the roasted peppers and toss with the bacon, 2 teaspoons of the oil, and the vinegar. Add salt to taste.
- Slice the baguette into 1/4 inch slices and lightly toast in a 350 degree oven until golden brown.
- Layer the parmesan cheese and basil on top of the bruschetta mixture and serve with toasted pieces of bread. Serve at room temperature.