Zoodle Ratatouille is a composition of seasonal vegetables—zucchini, onions, red or yellow sweet bell peppers, and tomatoes—cooked with olive oil and garlic.
I’m a little late to the spiralized veggie movement as I just recently bought myself one of these little compact Vegetti Spiral Vegetable Slicers. It’s easy to use, easy to clean, and best of all it’s a great little tool for making zucchini noodles, or “zoodles”. Zoodles have way less calories and carbs than pasta, so you can definitely feel good about trying this dish!
This deliciously fun Zoodle Ratatouille takes a few liberties as well as a few shortcuts over the traditional ratatouille (a French Provençal stewed vegetable dish). This recipe uses zucchini “zoodles” and a can of Italian-seasoned petite diced tomatoes and can be prepared in no more than 45 minutes.
My Ratatouille version is loaded with zucchini, onions, red and yellow sweet bell peppers, and mushrooms. The dish cooks quickly by using a can of petite diced tomatoes. I used the Italian seasoned variety with garlic, basil, and oregano and didn’t add any extra salt to this dish. (To reduce the sodium in this recipe, use the no-salt version and season instead with dried herbs and Morton’s Lite Salt.)
Vegetarians would be appalled, but I must confess that I also tossed in some chopped rotisserie chicken to add a little protein to our meal, but either way this recipe is delicious! Add shaved Parmesan cheese, freshly ground black pepper, and fresh basil to enhance the flavors and freshness of the entire dish.
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
- 4-5 medium zucchini, spiralized
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 large red or yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 14.5 oz. can diced tomatoes with basil, garlic & oregano, (drained)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded or shaved Parmesan cheese, (optional)
- fresh basil, for garnish
- Spiralize 4-5 zucchini to make 4 cups of zoodles. Set aside. Slice remaining vegetables into thin slices and then roughly chop.
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet on medium heat. Add onions and peppers and sauté for 5 minutes or until onions are translucent. Add minced garlic and mushrooms and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add drained tomatoes and black pepper. Bring to a boil and reduce heat to medium low. Add zoodles and toss. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the chopped chicken (optional). Cook until heated through.
- If desired, sprinkle with Parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve immediately.
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 163Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 5mgSodium: 256mgCarbohydrates: 23gFiber: 7gSugar: 14gProtein: 8g