Where do you find your dinner inspiration? Of course, I’m hoping you’ve found a few menu items on my blog recently that inspire you, but seriously, where do you look? Food blogs? Pinterest? Facebook? Instagram? How about mobile apps?
We’re on the go — like most of you — a lot of the time, so I’ve found a few favorite cooking and recipe apps that I can check for ideas even when I stop at the grocery store on my way home from work. Among one of my favorites is the Weber On the Grill app where I found today’s grilling hit.
Gyro Style Steak Sandwiches — flank steak seasoned with Weber’s Steak N’ Chop Seasoning and served on ciabatta bread with a cucumber and feta cheese spread — are hearty enough to please any man. In other words, this is a “man-approved” recipe. I’m planning to grill these again for Father’s Day (actually I’ll do the prep and John will do the grilling) because we enjoyed this meal so much last weekend. Although the original recipe states that it serves six, I truly think that there’s enough meat to feed a few more if you pick up an extra ciabatta loaf. Enjoy!
Gyro Style Steak Sandwiches
Sour Cream Dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup chopped cucumber peeled and seeded
- 1/4 cup crumbled Feta cheese
- 1 teaspoon Spice Islands® Oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon Weber® Steak 'N Chop Seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon Spice Islands® Garlic Powder
- 1-1/2 to 2 pounds flank steak about 3/4-inch thick
- Extra virgin olive oil as needed
- 2 tablespoons Weber® Steak 'N Chop Seasoning
- 1 loaf ciabatta bread cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small red onion thinly sliced into half-moons
- 2 to matoes thinly sliced
- Combine dressing ingredients in a small bowl. Mix well and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Lightly brush steak on both sides with oil and then season evenly with 2 tablespoons of the steak and chop seasoning. Allow steak to stand at room temperature for 15 to 30 minutes before grilling.
- Prepare grill for direct cooking over medium heat (350° to 450°F). Brush cooking grates clean. Grill steak over direct medium heat, with the lid closed as much as possible, until cooked to your desired doneness, 8 to 10 minutes for medium rare, turning once or twice (if flare-ups occur, move steak temporarily over indirect heat.) Remove steak from grill and let rest for 3 to 5 minutes.
- While the steak rests, grill the bread over direct medium heat, cut side down, until lightly browned, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Thinly slice the steak. Build the sandwiches with sour cream dressing, tomatoes, steak slices and onion. Place the remaining half of the bread on top and cut into individual sandwiches. Serve right away.