A little bit of sweetness and a little bit of crunch are the perfect balance in this Lightened Up Broccoli Salad.
A little bit of sweetness and a little bit of crunch are the perfect balance in this Lightened Up Broccoli Salad. By adding Greek yogurt to the dressing and forgoing the bacon found in the original recipe, this version is practically guilt-free and still very flavorful! Best served chilled, make this recipe the night before or at least an hour before serving. This colorful salad is a great side dish for any meal. I also like to pack a serving as a substitute for chips in my lunch bag — a great way to get a few extra veggies into my diet!
FUN BROCCOLI FACTS
- Did you know that broccoli is available all year, but it’s at its best during peak season which is October through April?
- Broccoli is part of the cabbage family and is related to kale, cauliflower, and Brussels sprouts.
- A popular food of the ancient Romans, broccoli once grew wild on the shores of the Mediterranean and started growing commercially in the states in the 1920s.
- Broccoli is one of the nutrition super veggies and is an exceptionally rich source of vitamin C, which helps fight against flu causing viruses.
- It also contains good amounts of vitamin A which is essential for healthy eyesight.
- When purchasing broccoli, look for heads that are heavy with small buds tightly packed together.
- Store broccoli in a produce bag in the coldest part of your refrigerator and it should stay fresh for about 10 days.
- 4 cups coarsely chopped broccoli florets, about 1 bunch
- 1/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1/3 cup slivered almonds
- 1/3 cup cranberries
- 1/3 cup light mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Coarsely chop broccoli and place in a large bowl. Add red onion, almonds and cranberries.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise and remaining ingredients until smooth. Pour dressing over broccoli mixture and mix until coated. Cover and chill 1 hour before serving.
Recipe adapted from Cooking Light, May 2016
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Serving Size:1 Servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 91 Total Fat: 5g Saturated Fat: 1g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 4g Cholesterol: 2mg Sodium: 182mg Carbohydrates: 11g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 4g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 3g