Sticky Baked Chicken Wings are brushed with a honey-Korean chili sauce and returned to the oven until they are properly glazed and sticky-good!
What’s a football party without chicken wings? The normal process for preparing wings requires deep-frying, but I prefer making Sticky BAKED Chicken Wings (a recipe by Giada De Laurentiis) which are crispy wings with a flavorful glaze WITHOUT the mess of FRYING!
These chicken wings marinate in a sesame-soy sauce and then bake at a high temperature (425 degrees) resulting in crispy skins. The basting sauce is made up of honey, soy sauce, and Korean chili paste (add more or less of the chili paste to suit your taste).
After baking, the wings are then brushed with the honey-Korean chili sauce and returned to the oven until they are properly glazed and sticky-good! Be sure to have plenty of napkins or wet wipes on hand because you’re gonna need ’em!
What’s up with chicken wings?
Truthfully, chicken wings have become so popular in the South over the last few years that our kids have no idea that chicken wings were once the most undesirable part of the bird and often discarded. When I grew up, no one was fighting over the wing on our platter of Sunday fried chicken!
How do you like your chicken wings? Hot, mild, or sweet?
Now, you can find chicken wings of all varieties on restaurant menus—hot, mild, sweet, tangy, spicy—and no football party is complete without them. The original chicken wings—Buffalo wings, crispy fried and tossed in hot sauce—were first served in 1964 at the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York (hence the name!).
For many years, buffalo wings were a regional food found only in New York and surrounding areas. It wasn’t until the mid-1980s that wings had spread across the country and became the signature food at tailgates and football parties.
The best thing about Sticky Baked Chicken Wings—no frying!
If you like chicken wings with an Asian flair, you need this recipe for your next football party. What’s amazing about this recipe is that you can achieve crispiness without FRYING! That means less clean-up! I am all about keeping it simple and easy, and with this recipe that doesn’t mean sacrificing flavor.
You may also enjoy these other football party appetizers:
- Baked Jalapeño Pimento Cheese
- Hot Pepper Cheese Dip with Bacon
- Easy Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Supreme Veggie Nachos with Green Chili Cheese Sauce
- Sausage, Bean, and Spinach Dip
DID YOU MAKE THIS STICKY BAKED CHICKEN WINGS RECIPE?
If you like this recipe, please do me a favor and give it a 5-star rating!
And, if you’re into sharing photos of your cooking adventures, please tag @lifeloveandgoodfood on Instagram and hashtag it #lifeloveandgoodfood. Happy cooking, friends!
- 2 pounds chicken wings,, split and tips discarded
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 3 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon Korean chili paste
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and smashed
For the wings:
- Place sesame oil, soy sauce and lime juice in a gallon-size ziplock bag. Add the chicken wings and seal the bag. Mix the wings around until all are coated in the marinade. Refrigerate for 3 hours to marinate.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the wings on a rimmed baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes or until crispy.
For the sauce:
- Whisk together honey, chili paste, soy sauce, sesame oil, lime juice and garlic in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer and reduce heat to low. Cook until thickened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the wings from the oven and carefully pour off any grease. Brush the wings with sauce and toss gently with a metal spatula to coat well. Return to oven and cook an additional 5 to 10 minutes, turning once, until glazed and cooked through. Toss the cooked wings once more to coat well. Serve immediately.
Recipe from Giada De Laurentiis
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 575Total Fat: 41gSaturated Fat: 14gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 24gCholesterol: 124mgSodium: 1036mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 11gProtein: 26g