It will soon be Memorial Day and you know what that means — Summer barbecue season is here! I love everything about grilling, eating, and casual outdoor entertaining. I especially love that our barbecue meals are a combined effort. I do a lot of the menu planning and prep work and then John mans the grill while we hang out on the deck and enjoy a cool drink. It’s a time of laughter and togetherness, and always great food! One of my favorite grilling meals is BBQ Chicken with Memphis-Style BBQ Sauce. We brine chicken leg quarters ahead of time, grill them to crisp up the skin, and then finish off cooking and basting with a tangy homemade sauce.
Grilling takes the formality out of entertaining. Everyone wants to get involved. Bobby Flay
Just in time for Memorial Day weekend, here’s my suggestion for a complete outdoor feast:
- BBQ Chicken with Memphis-Style BBQ Sauce (see recipe below)
- Fresh Herb Potato Salad
- Easy Baked Beans
- Spicy Grilled Corn
- Succotash Salad
- Rustic Cherry Tart
P.S. I love this little basting brush by Sur La Table and use it ALL the time.
BBQ Chicken with Memphis-Style BBQ Sauce
4 chicken leg quarters
- 1 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove crushed
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon seasoned salt
- 1 cups ketchup
- 1/4 cup mustard
- 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- Place chicken into a gallon-size ziplock bag. Combine all ingredients for the brine and pour into bag with chicken. Seal tightly and refrigerate for up to 2 hours (at least a minimum of 30 minutes).
- Remove chicken from bag and pat dry with paper towels, discarding the brine.
- Oil grill grates and heat to medium high. Place chicken on grill and cook about 10 minutes on each side to crisp up the skin and get nice grill marks.
- Bake chicken in a 375 degree oven to finish cooking, about 35-40 minutes or until chicken reaches an internal temperature of 170 degrees. After 20 minutes, baste all over with barbecue sauce. Baste again before the end of cooking.
- Serve with extra sauce.
- In a medium saucepan, stir together all the ingredients except the oil. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 25 minutes.
- Add 1 tablespoon canola oil and whisk until well blended.