This post may contain affiliate links. Please read my disclosure policy.
I am proud to be partnering with Mann’s Fresh Vegetables to bring you this tasty recipe! As always, all opinions are 100% my own.
A little bit spicy, a little bit sweet, cook these smoky catfish in a cast iron skillet right on the grill!
Just in case you didn’t realize it, Summer BBQ season doesn’t have to be all about burgers. Spice up your outdoor grilling by heating up that cast iron skillet right on the grill grates and cooking up a batch of these Spicy Sweet Cast Iron Catfish.
I used to shy away from cooking blackened fish because it gets so smoky, but this recipe is perfect for getting outside and enjoying the beautiful weather we’ve been having here lately.
If you don’t have a nice smoked paprika in your pantry already, get some to add into this spice rub—it’s a game changer!
This recipe is really pretty simple. Mix up the dry spice ingredients with some dark brown sugar to add sweetness.
Next, rinse and pat dry the catfish then sprinkle the mixture on all sides and gently rub it in. Let the filets rest while you heat up the cast iron skillet on the grill.
And, to complete this menu and make it super easy, I recommend Mann’s Bacon Maple Brussels Nourish Bowl™.
Each package has a fresh blend of Brussels sprouts, kohlrabi, and kale and comes with a sweet maple glaze and bacon bits that you just toss in and cook in your microwave.
You know I love anything delicious and quick, and these veggies pair perfectly with the spiciness of the catfish!
The catfish is also quick! Once the canola oil and cast iron skillet is heated, cook the catfish filets for just 3 to 4 minutes on each side with the grill lid closed.
Remember it will be smoky when you open the lid to flip the filets, but enjoy the delicious aroma when you do!
Your shares are how this site grows and I appreciate each one. Do you know someone who would enjoy this recipe? I’d love it if you would share it on Facebook or on your favorite Pinterest board!
Spicy Sweet Cast Iron Catfish
- 2-4 8 ounce catfish filets
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
Spicy Sweet Rub
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Preheat a cast iron skillet with the canola oil on the grill, with lid closed, to medium high heat.
- Mix spices together in a shallow dish. Rinse and pat dry catfish filets. Dredge the filets in the rub mixture, shaking off any excess.
- Cook the filets on one side for 3 minutes in the hot cast iron skillet with the grill lid closed. Flip and cook the other side another 3-4 minutes, or until the fish flakes easily.
- Cook Mann’s Bacon Maple Nourish Bowl according to package (approximately 3-4 minutes in microwave).
Life Love and Good Food does not claim to be a registered dietician or nutritionist. Nutritional information shared on this site is only an estimate. We recommend running the ingredients through an online nutritional calculator if you need to verify any information.